Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Gloucester Cathedral [L] Wed, 10th Oct 2018

CE Gloucester Cathedral [L]
    100th anniversary of the death of Sir Hubert Parry

Order of Service:

Introit: My soul, there is a country (Parry)
    Responses: Dibble (based on Parry)
    Psalm 132 (Parry)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 51: 1-6
    Canticles: Parry in D ‘Great Service’
    Second Lesson: 2 Corinthians 1: 1-11
    Anthem: Hear my words, ye people (Parry)
    Hymn: Through the night of doubt and sorrow (Rustington)

Voluntary: Chorale Prelude on Croft’s 136th (Parry)

Jonathan Hope (Assistant Director of Music)
    Adrian Partington (Director of Music)

• Bella Kemp
    • Aug 2014

One of the great joys.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I'm not sure which of the above joys you are referring to BK, but another joy is to be heard on R3 this evening at 6.45pm.

Comment

• Bella Kemp
        • Aug 2014

Thank you ardcarp. The whole of Choral Evensong is a joy but I certainly love Parry

Comment

• BasilHarwood
          • Mar 2012

Anyone heard the Parry CD that came with the latest edition of BBC Music magazine?

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
            Anyone heard the Parry CD that came with the latest edition of BBC Music magazine?
            Still in its shrinkwrap here, I'm afraid, as is the even newer Virtuoso Violin one, but I ought to play it, as the next concert I'm singing in includes two of the Songs of Farewell.
            And it's not the BBC Singers, either.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Still in its shrinkwrap here, I'm afraid, as is the even newer Virtuoso Violin one, but I ought to play it, as the next concert I'm singing in includes two of the Songs of Farewell.
              And it's not the BBC Singers, either.
              Well I guess... I’ll be intrigued to hear what you think; for my two cents I think it a noble effort but it’s lacking that more mature tenor and bass sound that really underpins thr sound, it’s all very top heavy - which might be the recording I suppose.

I can take or leave the pieces that aren’t the Songs of Farewell; they remind me of those dreadful Elgar part songs (and I love Elgar!!),

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

those dreadful Elgar part songs
                ..which ones do you have in mind, Basil?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
                  Well I guess... I’ll be intrigued to hear what you think; for my two cents I think it a noble effort but it’s lacking that more mature tenor and bass sound that really underpins thr sound, it’s all very top heavy - which might be the recording I suppose.

I can take or leave the pieces that aren’t the Songs of Farewell; they remind me of those dreadful Elgar part songs (and I love Elgar!!),
                  I can see (hear!) what you mean: a recording to dip into perhaps (which I may well do when I get the music for the pieces we're singing) rather than play right through in one session.
                  Their Naxos CD (songs by Bax, Delius, Warlock, Moeran, Ireland) seem to have had pretty favourable reviews.
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 09-10-18, 16:13. Reason: Typo corrrected.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    ..which ones do you have in mind, Basil?
                    The Shower.
                    Owls.
                    Zut, zut blah blah

Do I have to go on?

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

No, but I'll politely disagree. He was as good an orchestrator of voices as he was of instruments. Unfashionable though his unnaccompanied choral music (and occasionally choice of texts) has been in much of the twentieth century, the part-songs need re-appraisal IMHO. There is Sweet Music (Tennyson?) is both brilliant and beautiful, being written in two keys. And what's wrong with Torrents in Summer? A while ago I did the 5 Unnacc Part Songs (which included The Shower) and whilst the singers were initially sniffy about the prospect, they really became converted and gave them their all. One needs perhaps to remember that Victorians and Edwardians were not afraid of sentiment, as we are now, and their art needs to be judged in the context of its time, not ours.

Are we getting off topic?

Comment

• BasilHarwood
                        • Mar 2012

No, but I'll politely disagree. He was as good an orchestrator of voices as he was of instruments. Unfashionable though his unnaccompanied choral music (and occasionally choice of texts) has been in much of the twentieth century, the part-songs need re-appraisal IMHO. There is Sweet Music (Tennyson?) is both brilliant and beautiful, being written in two keys. And what's wrong with Torrents in Summer? A while ago I did the 5 Unnacc Part Songs (which included The Shower) and whilst the singers were initially sniffy about the prospect, they really became converted and gave them their all. One needs perhaps to remember that Victorians and Edwardians were not afraid of sentiment, as we are now, and their art needs to be judged in the context of its time, not ours.

Yes we are! But that’s my fault.

We’ll agree to disagree with the part songs; yes sentimental is fine, but I just don’t like the music - too twee. Same for the Parry songs.

Now Grainger folk songs arrangements, that’s something worth singing!

Right... back to evensong.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

I don't mind it being OT - I'm sure it will get back On Topic.

I agree, very much agree with you ardcarp. I've gladly sung Elgar part songs, and I don't object to them at all. In the hands of a good conductor they can be made into something very well worth singing and hearing. (And yes There is Sweet Music was the first to get my attention as a listener - then others followed in singing them).

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Lovely sound from Gloucester, engineers allowing the big acoustic to be enjoyed. Psalm really good, with that excellent Parry chant. Responses arr. Dibble were sung with gusto by the choir, though I wonder how many more outings they will get. Liked the final 'Amen' culled from Songs of Farewell. Obviously some good men at Gloucester, a fine treble line and a very musical musical director. [Haven't heard the anthem yet...will catch up.]

Comment

Working...
                              X