X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonfan
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by choralmike View Post
    I attended this broadcast and was struck that such a good sound was obtained from quite a modest number of singers. The organ sounded absolutely splendid and I loved the varied accompaniment during the psalm singing. This is something which we hear less frequently these days it seems, but it certainly enhances the meaning and effect of a psalm.
    I’ve listened closely to the top line and can’t decide if it’s male and/or female and if it’s young and/or old. It sounded modest in numbers as you say and very keen.
    PS. Just got over my laziness and looked it up. Boys.
    Last edited by jonfan; 22-09-18, 13:08.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I don't think I've ever heard the officiating clergy announce the voluntary at a service, broadcast or not.
      ..and let's face it, many an organist doesn't decide what to play until about 30 seconds before the Blessing.

Comment

• mw963
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
        I’ve listened closely to the top line and can’t decide if it’s male and/or female and if it’s young and/or old. It sounded modest in numbers as you say and very keen.
        PS. Just got over my laziness and looked it up. Boys.
        I'm surprised you had to check. SWMBO and I both came to that conclusion by simply listening. We often try it as an exercise, and we're seldom found to be in error. And I wouldn't suggest that either of us are "experts".

Laters - I forgot to say, brilliant broadcast, nothing to criticise, a real gem.
        Last edited by mw963; 23-09-18, 11:30.

Comment

• mw963
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
          I can't imagine many self-respecting vicars
          Matthew 5 v 5.

If some of the priests I've come across had actually read and understood that verse, the relations between music and clergy might have been a lot better..... Probably without meaning to you've absolutely touched on a fundamental in those few words....

Comment

• Don Basilio
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
            I can't imagine many self-respecting vicars would allow a visiting choir to dictate what may or may not be said during a service, or to decree that they may not preach in their own church. What a presumptuous way to carry on.
            Like. It is not a concert.

Comment

• mopsus
              • Nov 2010

I'd like to think that what they are trying to avoid is the kind of service where all other elements, spoken, sung or actions, are seen as a framework for the sermon. In my experience the sermons at such services may not justify this treatment - I can think of one preacher who used them to attack individuals in their congregation.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                Late Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                Matthew 5 v 5.

If some of the priests I've come across had actually read and understood that verse, the relations between music and clergy might have been a lot better..... Probably without meaning to you've absolutely touched on a fundamental in those few words....
                I'm not sure that I understand your meaning. Are you saying that if only clergy would let the musicians get on with it, there wouldn't be any conflicts between clergy and musicians?
                My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  A very testing sing with great attack to the job in hand. Good clear psalm singing and colourful accompaniment. Great to have all the appointed psalms. I wasn't too keen on the engineered sound today which lacked clarity IMO. Highlight by far was the voluntary, wonderfully played and very exciting. Well captured. Must have been the Grove organ? That seemed to be used throughout.
                  Just great - echo your view on psalms, esp word-colouring accomp/descants, but disagree on sound which gave me a great sense of the space of that 'sans pareil' place. Def. 'Milton' (instead of 'blind' Milton) - perfect for today's repertoire. Gosh, the Schola is good: well done all. Hurrah for Dean Close in saving it and God bless the late, great Miles Amherst for his vision and determination.

Comment

• Gweefry
                    • Nov 2013

Have only just got round to listening to this CE and am very impressed by the Ives Mag and Nunc - original and very attractive and, to my ears, very well served by the choir as part of a very enjoyable service. Congratulations to all.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Pray, how do I give a link to all of them, jean?
                      it’s easy - you talk about a broadcast, you give a link to its online presence, no? Just one at a time!

I am still here but I still have no idea how to delete my PMs so people can say farewells to me...

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

Jean - check in here tomorrow. Maybe I can post some images to explain what to do (I'll give it a go, anyway). It will probably be a link to another thread for general reference - assuming it works.

EDIT: I hope post #13 here helps you to send and receive PMs :

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...393#post701393
                        Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 11-10-18, 22:27.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks - it would be easier if I were at home not trying to manipulate everything on my phone

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Maxima culpa

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              Thanks - it would be easier if I were at home not trying to manipulate everything on my phone
                              Just to confirm that I updated post #41 with a link to a guide to deleting PMs from the inbox.

I have tried deleting one or two messages using my mobile - using the Chrome app to access the forum pages. It worked for me, but success no doubt depends on the sort of mobile telephone is being used and other factors. (When I prepared the post to show how to delete PMs I assumed a computer would be available.

I hope, one way or another, you make some headway in freeing your inbox and receiving further PMs
                              CS

Comment

Working...
                              X