• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE York Minster 6.vi.2018 [L]

CE York Minster 6.vi.2018

Order of Service:

Introit: Holy is the true light (Richard Shephard)
    Responses: Matthew Martin
    Psalms 32, 33, 34 (Hylton Stewart, Camidge, Whiteley, Wesley, Day)
    First Lesson: Genesis 42:17-38
    Canticles: York Service (Judith Bingham) (first broadcast)
    Second Lesson: Matthew 18:1-14
    Anthem: The Spacious firmament (Philip Moore) (first broadcast)

Voluntary: Alleluyas (Simon Preston)

Benjamin Morris (Assistant Director of Music)
    Robert Sharpe (Director of Music)
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

More Moore in the following week.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

I was in the minster for CE last Saturday (with teamsaint and Mrs ts) and heard the Martin responses then; they are a delight!
      May well be in the congregation for this broadcast.
      Any other forumite likely to be there?

Comment

• Constantbee
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Yes, me I'm hoping to be there. It's difficult to tell whether a live broadcast attracts a bigger congregation than usual. I'm assuming there's plenty of room.
        And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

I was in the minster for CE last Saturday (with teamsaint and Mrs ts) and heard the Martin responses then; they are a delight!
          May well be in the congregation for this broadcast.

In spirit . looking forward to hearing how they perform under pressure.
          Any decent alto solos, do you think ?

Hope you get there Pulcers.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            [/B]
            In spirit . looking forward to hearing how they perform under pressure.
            Any decent alto solos, do you think ?
            What are you implying here?

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                What are you implying here?
                I'm not implying anything. What do you think I am implying ?

Just hope they do themselves justice, and that there is a very good Alto who is worth hearing. And no doubt other fine singers too.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Any Forumista there? What happened to the organ to cause the end of the transmission?
                  Evensong could still continue with prayers etc? So..............?
                  Last edited by DracoM; 06-06-18, 17:28.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Any Forumista there? What happened to the organ to cause the end of the transmission?
                    Evnsong could still continue with prayers etc? So..............?
                    There was a forum presence, so no doubt all will be revealed.

It was all going so well when I nipped to the post office at about 4.15.......

Comment

• mopsus
                      • Nov 2010

From the Minster choir Twitter feed:

"The organ electrics cut just before “What though in solemn silence” [! - mopsus] on our live @BBCRadio3 Evensong. We managed to go back in and record the missing parts so the repeat and iplayer will have the complete service."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Yes, I was there.
                        A very interesting place for sudden silence, which most of us thought might have been in the music, until the choir started to look as if something had definitely gone wrong!
                        I don't know what you heard on R3 but it took a long time until we got any sort of announcement, which was that the producer would be along to say something, but I guess things were still going on behind the scenes, as eventually we continued with the final prayers and were then asked to leave.

The choir lurked around, and one member said that they were going back in to record the anthem in full, and that Sunday's broadcast would be complete.

I spoke to one of the minster staff on the way out and he said that a (silenced!) fire alarm had gone off and in doing so had shut the organ down. Apparently it took a long time to reset the electrics so they had to abandon the service.

Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.
                        I hope what came over in what was broadcast sounded as impressive as it did from inside the minster.

Oh: in case anyone was wondering, it was boys; they seemed completely at ease throughout (they cope with pressure, as you probably sensed when you heard them last month, ts!) and the alto line did indeed have some lovely parts/solo lines.

Comment

• Constantbee
                          • Jul 2017

I hope what came over in what was broadcast sounded as impressive as it did from inside the minster.
                          It certainly did from where I was sitting. I must confess I'm not an expert but the choir sounded little short of immaculate to me The pieces sounded demanding with awkward entries to negotiate and difficult harmonies with no accompaniment, and some of the singers are so young. The Judith Bingham Magnificant was particularly impressive. I shall certainly be listening on Sunday.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

The Judith Bingham Magnificant was particularly impressive

It was on the radio too. I listened with 'cans' and was very impressed with the trebles at full tilt on high notes. They seem to have 'warmed up' for the Bingham, not an easy piece, unacc with many tricky tritone intervals. Very effective and well rehearsed, I thought. Psalmody was good too, but I felt the organ (as it came over the airwaves) was a little over-loud at times.

Shame about the break. I wonder why everyone was so paralsed? Had it not been a broadcast, surely the Precentor (or whoever) would simply have got on with the prayers and then an impromptu hymn might have been sung unaccompanied to round things off. Anyway, it was fun to hear FJ playing his war-horse. A nifty player!

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Yes, liked the Bingham. Well-rehearsed and delivered. Boys partic done great.

Comment

Working...
                              X