• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Reminder: tomorrow @ 3.30 p.m.

BUT in addition, this, and NOT listed on the BBC site when I downloaded it for Forum - Grrrrrrrr!!

Stanley Vann
      Missa brevis in A
      Organ: Francesca Massey.
      Peterborough Cathedral Choir.
      Conductor: Andrew Reid.
      Last edited by DracoM; 31-05-18, 17:40.

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

The word that comes to mind when listening to the singing from 1972 is ‘delicate.’ The singing is beautifully careful and meticulously prepared. The top line seems to depend on a few voices making an impact. The mood of the service was quite depressing instead of uplifting. The prayers and readings were delivered in an atmosphere of gloom. How standards and mood have rocketed since then. We may have turmoil around us locally and globally but the CE today sets out to be uplifting. Mind you there was plenty in the UK to be depressed about in 1972 with the miners strike and Bloody Sunday and the Troubles in Northern Ireland escalating. There was a bright spot - ‘Emmerdale Farm’ started.
        Last edited by jonfan; 31-05-18, 17:44. Reason: Typo

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Comment

• mw963
            • Feb 2012

An absolutely beautiful Evensong, immaculate and - as has been said - delicate singing. And those controlled crescs on the Canticle final Amens, fabulous, true team professionalism.

However I saw no gloom, no depressing atmosphere. Instead we were given formal measured proceedings, exactly what I look for in an Evensong. When I go in person, the last thing I want is personal interaction with other human beings; I go to be still, to be in the presence of God, and to be brought closer to that state by the music. Of course if you want a potted history, or a virtue-signalling introduction, or being asked to join in the Grace, then this service wasn't for you, but I personally relished the clear accents, beautifully modulated voices, the formal but not-unfriendly atmosphere.

Sounds familiar? Ah well, that's because jonfan and I disagree fundamentally about Radio 3 Pres, and much the same applies here. But what one cannot say is that "standards and mood have rocketed". That's a personal view and says more about the writer than about how things have changed over the years.

But I'll leave it there, we're not going to agree on it, so "end of" as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

However I saw no gloom, no depressing atmosphere. Instead we were given formal measured proceedings, exactly what I look for in an Evensong. When I go in person, the last thing I want is personal interaction with other human beings; I go to be still, to be in the presence of God, and to be brought closer to that state by the music. Of course if you want a potted history, or a virtue-signalling introduction, or being asked to join in the Grace, then this service wasn't for you, but I personally relished the clear accents, beautifully modulated voices, the formal but not-unfriendly atmosphere.
              For once we are in agreement mw! (Although as an agnostic, I'd have to substitute something else for 'the presence of God'.) It is probably forgotten, or maybe not known, that CE used to be like that 40+ years ago. No overblown singing d from the back desks, a clear head-voice treble line, and lessons read in a somewhat detached way. We can't impose our thoughts about 'ecclesiastical' diction of the time. I think of the places I heard regularly in those days (Lichfield, Lincoln, Southwell, Gloucester, Worcester, Hereford, etc, etc) and we would have heard a similar sound from all of them.

A late PS: I thought the clarity of the words, especially in the psalms, was exceptional.
              Last edited by ardcarp; 05-06-18, 08:20. Reason: An afterthought.

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

I would stand by my statement that standards have rocketed in CE since 1972 in that the high standards of a few institutions are now nationwide. The foundation of girl choristers in cathedrals, and the mixed choirs of Oxbridge and elsewhere, are clear evidence of a buoyant and vibrant choral scene committed to maintaining, and yes, improving on the work of the past. The presence of both sexes in the priesthood a cause for lifting of the mood as well.

Comment

• choralmike
                  • May 2017

I enjoyed this evensong very much. I don't think that comparing it with what we hear in the live broadcasts in 2018 serves much purpose. It's 'of its time' and was sung with great sincerity and care. I believe that Peterborough was considered to be one of the best cathedral choirs at that time and it is easy to understand why. Stanley Vann's obituary in 'The Telegraph' in 2010 reveals something about the way he worked during his very long life.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by choralmike View Post
                    I enjoyed this evensong very much. I don't think that comparing it with what we hear in the live broadcasts in 2018 serves much purpose. It's 'of its time' and was sung with great sincerity and care. I believe that Peterborough was considered to be one of the best cathedral choirs at that time and it is easy to understand why. Stanley Vann's obituary in 'The Telegraph' in 2010 reveals something about the way he worked during his very long life.
                    Well said. A great Howells fest too. I'm very fond of the B minor, though somewhat closer to C minor to my ear here.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I'm very fond of the B minor, though somewhat closer to C minor to my ear here.
                      Peterborough Cathedral is one of the finest Norman buildings surviving in Europe today and is a UK landmark.

...about A=453 I think. Lichfield organ was similarly sharp when I was a kid.

Comment

• mw963
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        For once we are in agreement mw!
                        My dear ardcarp, I'm sure over a pint we'd find ourselves agreeing about 99% of all matters choral!

Comment

• choralmike
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                          Well said. A great Howells fest too. I'm very fond of the B minor, though somewhat closer to C minor to my ear here.
                          A very 'noble' key!

Comment

Working...
                          X