• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chapel of Keble College, Oxford Wed, April 4th 2018

CE Chapel of Keble College, Oxford [R]

Order of Service:

Introit: Victimae paschali laudes (Plainsong, arr. Andrew Reid)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalm 105 (Stanford, Martin, Atkins)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 26: 1-19
    Office hymn: Ad regias Agni dapes (Plainsong, mode viii)
    Canticles: Jackson in G
    Second Lesson: John 20:1-10
    Anthem: Ye choirs of new Jerusalem (Stanford)
    Hymn: The strife is o'er (Victory)
    Marian Antiphon: Regina coeli (Palestrina)

Voluntary: Organ Symphony No 6 in G minor, Op 42 No 2 (Finale: Vivace) (Widor)

Aine Kennedy (Organ Scholar)
    Robert Quinney (Organist)
    Matthew Martin (Director of Music)

No indication, but I will surmise this is a recording.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I thought that was a fabulous CE, quite thrilling at times. Wonderful top line, beautifully blended ensemble and most musical phrasing and dynamics.

The magnificent newish organ at Keble sounded terrific too*. If anything, the engineers had the balance a bit too much in favour of the organ at times...but then that's being picky. Isn't Jackson in G a great set of canticles? I did do a slight inward groan when I saw Stanford Ye Choirs as the anthem...but wow, they gave it a pazzaz I've not heard before. Also it was roughly of the era of Keble's foundation, so appropriate.

* I've put a link on The Organ sub-forum,

Comment

• jonfan
      • Dec 2010

I presume this was recorded 7 December, the day after the live Evensong received here with great enthusiasm. The choir has depth in the inner voices which makes everything rock solid in support but the sopranos have a loveliness to melt the heart as well as power when required. The psalm had all the contrast imaginable with colour on the organ to match Handel’s plagues! Exquisite engineering, a pity not in binaural sound for a final cake icing. Thank you Keble, return soon.

Comment

• mw963
        • Feb 2012

Agreed, just caught up with this, and surprised it's had so relatively little reaction. Great music (like you ardcarp I relish Jackson in G) and great performance, all under the impeccable direction of our very own Matthew Martin.

As I think I said earlier, the problem with binaural is that it isn't terribly mono-compatible, and the BBC has to take into account the fact that a large part of the radio (ie off air) audience isn't even listening in stereo, let alone binaural.

Comment

• jonfan
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
          Agreed, just caught up with this, and surprised it's had so relatively little reaction. Great music (like you ardcarp I relish Jackson in G) and great performance, all under the impeccable direction of our very own Matthew Martin.

As I think I said earlier, the problem with binaural is that it isn't terribly mono-compatible, and the BBC has to take into account the fact that a large part of the radio (ie off air) audience isn't even listening in stereo, let alone binaural.
          There has in the past been an occasional CE dedicated feed on iplayer for binaural, which doesn’t of course impinge on the usual output which is in stereo. Great, aural experience. Looking forward to the Proms which last year went for binaural, and concert sound, in a stunnng way. Hope it all happens again this year.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Terrific! I could listen to this choir all day! An exquisite, direct sound and always responsive to the text. Jackson in G is a gem - I never tire of it. And then there's that acoustic - the best in Oxford!!

NVV

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Is RQ a regular organist at Keble?
              Must say I was a bit surprised to see his name on the list.

Comment

• chitreb
                • Nov 2012

Just catching up now. Wonderful sound.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Is RQ a regular organist at Keble?
                  Must say I was a bit surprised to see his name on the list.
                  No, he's not a member of the staff. He was a guest for this broadcast.

NVV

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Thx for clarification.

Comment

Working...
                    X