• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Uplifting Easter Morning from Sheffield Cathedral

Yes, Sheffield. Do try it. Exceeded my expectation!

• Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Yes, Sheffield. Do try it. Exceeded my expectation!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ield-cathedral
    Agreed, I meant just to sample and ended up watching the lot. This and the later broadcast from St Albans made for a rather special Easter Day.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I did skip a lot of the spoken words, fine though I'm sure they were. But the choir, mixed, extremely poised and very well trained, was directed with great musicality. Maybe Timothy Corns is a name to watch. Above all they sang with conviction. The whole thing (including some of the words I didn't skip) seemed to radiate Easter joy. Nice choice of music too.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Maybe Timothy Corns is a name to watch.
        Thomas Corns?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Rather baffled that the excellence of the Choir of Sheffield Cathedral should be a surprise to anyone .

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

I'd forgotten Neil Taylor had left. Thomas seemed to be working very hard and got results to match.

Our cathedrals are not perhaps the complacent ivory towers they often used to seem to be. A couple of recent visits to Chelmsford have helped form this impression.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Rather baffled that the excellence of the Choir of Sheffield Cathedral should be a surprise to anyone .
              But it's not in the South East of England, Barbs - they probably think they'll sing with funny accents!

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

My apologies to Thomas! I also apologise if my OP sounded condescending. It's just that one expects the 'big names' with choir-schools, etc. to have all the advantages. Maybe they need to watch out!

In the past, Chelmsford used to do the occasional CE broadcast, and I recall they were very good.

BTW is the following information about Sheffiel's organ correct...

....or has a new instrument been installed?

Comment

• Once Was 4
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  But it's not in the South East of England, Barbs - they probably think they'll sing with funny accents!
                  Do not forget the coal in the font, whippets in the vestry, and the bishop's cloth cap instead of a mitre.
                  Last edited by Once Was 4; 02-04-18, 11:43.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

My apologies to Thomas! I also apologise if my OP sounded condescending. It's just that one expects the 'big names' with choir-schools, etc. to have all the advantages. Maybe they need to watch out!

In the past, Chelmsford used to do the occasional CE broadcast, and I recall they were very good.

The last time that I was in Sheffield Cathedral (early November 2017) there was still no sign of a new pipe organ.

Comment

• jonfan
                      • Dec 2010

Thanks for alerting us to this. Brilliant singing and full of Easter joy. What a stunning building and ashamed to say never been. Must put that to rights.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

Still very much the 'toaster', I fear, though this Phoenix is better than many other brands... perhaps it has a removable crumb tray.
                        Not being facetious for a minute, the Dove setting (new to me) was performed brilliantly.

Comment

Working...
                        X