Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Durham Cathedral Consort of Singers Wed, 28th Feb 2018

CE Durham Cathedral Consort of Singers **
    Durham Cathedral Chapter House

Order of Service:

Introit: Super flumina Babylonis (Palestrina)
    Responses: Shephard
    First Lesson: Job 1:1-22
    Canticles: Norwich Canticles (John McCabe)
    Second Lesson Luke 21:34 – 22: 6
    Anthem: Ne irascaris Domine (Byrd)
    Hymn: Jesu, grant me this, I pray (Song 13)

Organ Voluntary: Voluntary for my Lady Nevell (Byrd)

Daniel Cook (Organist)
    Francesca Massey (Director)

** This is a recording
  • Peanut
    • Feb 2015

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

In binaural sound as well. Sounding fantastic and spacious. Brilliant, let’s have binaural every week?!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Well, don't hold your breath because next week's is an 'archived' service from Chichester.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Well, don't hold your breath because next week's is an 'archived' service from Chichester.
            You weren't bothered when I mentioned that Windsor wasn't live, I seem to remember that was an archive recording........

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

To the music. Just listened to Ne Irascaris through the cans. Great sound. The sopranos' slightly hard tone suited the music well, I thought, though a somewhat brisk tempo robbed this yearning piece of some of its...yearning. Also a few snatched phrase ends. I note they didn't do the strange 'ficta' note on desolata...which I always think most unlikely anyway.

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Beautifully sung contemplative Evensong as befits the season. The McCabe was new to me and I greatly enjoyed it. He takes great care to illustrate the text. Well sung throughout I thought with some challenging writing. With the clear sound in a responsive acoustic there was nowhere to hide; but they didn’t need to.
                Last edited by jonfan; 01-03-18, 09:29. Reason: Grammar error!

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Yes, totally agree about the pace of Ne Irascaris. It is a sublimely emotive piece and the singing was ...well, OK< but...well,,,,,just a teeny tad 'businesslike'!
                  Not saying they did not sing it well, but just that I'd have preferred us to have more space, make the inner desperation more prominent: 'Sion...Jerusalem...' moments pushed through.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Rpt today @ 3 p.m.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

listened to the Byrd again.
                      Notes all there, mic / acoustic balance good - this time heard via headphones.
                      But it was a scramble, as if against the clock.

I kept asking myself whether they truly understood what they were singing: this is an impassioned, desperate cry from a faith embattled, pursued, and feeling hunted, abandoned not so much by the rest of Anglican England, as by God.
                      'Sion deserta', then 'desolata' repeated so many times with increasing intensity and then falling to that almost unresolved murmured emptiness at the close.
                      We got none of that. Disappointing.

Comment

• mopsus
                        • Nov 2010

I welcomed this broadcast as there are now a number of voluntary choirs singing occasional services at Cathedrals, and the best ones are certainly worth hearing. (Although I appreciate that the increasing number of 'archive' broadcasts means more choirs competing for fewer broadcast slots.)

I gather that plainchant was used for the psalms because only a chamber organ was available; this seemed a rather feeble reason because I've certainly done Anglican chant with a chamber organ, or unaccompanied. (There's also a lingering view in some quarters that adult women can't sing Anglican chant, which I've never understood, but I assume this didn't apply here!)

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Published in 1589, Ne irascaris Domine is one of William Byrd's finest compositions. Often performed during Holy Week, the motet is sung here in Ely Cathedra...

Ely Cathedral Choir sing Civitas sancti tui est deserta: Sion deserta facta est: Jerusalem desolata est. by the composer William Byrd in Ely Cathedral's Famo...

How different is THIS for the Byrd!!
                          Ely Cath / Trepte

And recorded in that fabulous Lady Chapel acoustic.
                          Last edited by DracoM; 07-03-18, 11:57.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Too slow for my taste, losing the architecture of the phrases. The acoustic can certainly handle more movement. The singing is fine and it's nice to hear boys and girls together. That said, I agree that the broadcast performance was too fast. I doubt diminutum of tempus imperfectum equates to modern alla breve (even though it is its direct ancestor) if that was the thinking behind it. We know that chant and polyphony were performed at slower tempi during Lent and Holy Week, but how much slower is anyone's guess.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Good point about the Lenten / Holy Week shift of tempi.
                              I just thought the Ely gave the 'Sion Deserta' particularly sequence a more impassioned and appropriate reading, given the weight of history behind both the scriptural original, and the pressure of Byrd's own times. Made me think how brave he was in writing such unequivocal music.

Comment

Working...
                              X