• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE York Minster Wed, 22nd November 2017

CE York Minster

An archive broadcast from York Minster first broadcast on 10th July 1996. This is to mark the 100th birthday of Francis Jackson which he celebrated last month. Francis Jackson was Organist of York Minster from 1946-82.

Order of Service:

Introit: Let my prayer come up (Bairstow)
    Responses: Jackson
    Psalms 53, 54, 55 (Vann, Crotch, Clark, Atkins)
    First Lesson: Exodus 14: 5-14
    Canticles: Bairstow in G
    Second Lesson: 1 Corinthians 15: 35-49
    Anthem: Lord, I call upon Thee (Bairstow)
    Hymn: God that madest earth and heaven (East Acklam)

Organ Voluntary: Impromptu for Sir Edward Bairstow (Jackson)

John Scott Whiteley (Assistant Organist)
    Philip Moore (Organist and Master of the Music)

An archive broadcast from York Minster to mark the 100th birthday of Francis Jackson.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    CE York Minster

An archive broadcast from York Minster first broadcast on 10th July 1996. This is to mark the 100th birthday of Francis Jackson which he celebrated last month. Francis Jackson was Organist of York Minster from 1946-82.

Order of Service:

Introit: Let my prayer come up (Bairstow)
    Responses: Jackson
    Psalms 53, 54, 55 (Vann, Crotch, Clark, Atkins)
    First Lesson: Exodus 14: 5-14
    Canticles: Bairstow in G
    Second Lesson: 1 Corinthians 15: 35-49
    Anthem: Lord, I call upon Thee (Bairstow)
    Hymn: God that madest earth and heaven (East Acklam)

Organ Voluntary: Impromptu for Sir Edward Bairstow (Jackson)

John Scott Whiteley (Assistant Organist)
    Philip Moore (Organist and Master of the Music)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09fp579
    Nothing in the CE archive from Jackson himself as organist and choirmaster? Thought that might have been more appropriate somehow.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

You might say that - I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I would personally have liked a live broadcast from York to celebrate the occasion....maybe including Jackson in G canticles, which are rather good.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Or, perhaps, his Blow ye the trumpet in Zion - written for the 1963 St Cecilia's Day Service?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Deffo agree that it seems pretty weird that if they are doing an archive slice expressly to celebrate his 100th, why NOT choose to have FJ conducting his own choir / music from the archive??

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

This is what York are actually singing on Wednesday, at their normal time of 17:15.

Responses (Byrd)
                Collegium Novum (Howells)
                A Hymn for St Cecilia (Howells)

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Francis Jackson / Archive recording today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• mw963
                    • Feb 2012

My guess is that the BBC's own CE Archive doesn't go back nearly as far as one might suppose. I'm fairly certain that when this whole occasional (well frequent now of course) Archive business first started some years ago there were extensive raids on a "private home collection". However I continue to be shocked and disappointed that we're being led down this route so often now.

Having said that, I'm always glad of some Bairstow, so I shall enjoy this one - although I've probably got it in my own archive anyway.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Good balance in such a monster acoustic - boys in terrific form, too. Young sounding tenors with plenty of grit and go.
                      And very glad I was made to listen to more Bairstow than for some time. Rewarding.
                      But I am still a bit mystified as to why the BBC chose a service with relatively so LITTLE Francis Jackson music in it to remember him by. Or not a service with him as organist.

Hey ho!

Comment

• mopsus
                        • Nov 2010

Was 'East Acklam' written for 'God that madest earth and heaven'? I don't think it's displaced Ar Hyd y Nos, although I now associate it with 'For the fruits of his creation' - perhaps those words were written for the East Acklam tune.

I thought some of the psalm singing was a bit wooden - in general the standard is higher now as you don't seem to hear that happen much these days.

Comment

• mw963
                          • Feb 2012

As is my wont, I dashed for the volume control as the voluntary (which I've always loved) ended, in order to stop Radio 3 in its tracks until the next CE, and this time spurred on by Skelly claiming the title of my "guide" for the afternoon on Radio 3 (please don't patronise me, I'm fed up with it, it's why I don't listen to your wretched network), but was glad I didn't quite get there in time and as a result heard the treat of Jackson actually performing. What a brilliant sparkling performance of the Gigout.

If CE is going to start playing CDs, maybe they could have found one of Jackson conducting. Much as I enjoyed today's broadcast, it WAS a repeat, it was only obliquely relevant, and one feels they could have found something more fitting.

Has anyone got in touch to complain - as recommended in last week's thread by the esteemed Roger Judd?

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                            Was 'East Acklam' written for 'God that madest earth and heaven'? I don't think it's displaced Ar Hyd y Nos, although I now associate it with 'For the fruits of his creation' - perhaps those words were written for the East Acklam tune.
                            I think you're right on both counts but need to check my sources.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

But I am still a bit mystified as to why the BBC chose a service with relatively so LITTLE Francis Jackson music in it to remember him by
                              Me too. However it was a lovely CE to listen to...still rather 'old school'.... with an excellent 'precentor' (or whatever they have in York).

Comment

Working...
                              X