• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Baltic Singing Revolution

The current Radio 4 series about the Cold War devoted today's episode to The Baltic Singing Revolution.

As the iron curtain came down and glasnost was in the air, the Baltic states were very nervous about the big bear on their doorstep and the fragile nature of their future freedom.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Excellent series from Bridget Kendall. Well worth catching the omnibus / iPlayer.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      As the iron curtain came down and glasnost was in the air, the Baltic states were very nervous about the big bear on their doorstep and the fragile nature of their future freedom.
      It wasn't just on their doorstep but occupying them and their attempts to end that were met my armed force. You can see that here, in Riga https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y4wLPgTxwk

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

But isn't ardcarp's point that even after the occupation had ended, the Baltic states weren't convinced it might not return in some form?

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
          But isn't ardcarp's point that even after the occupation had ended, the Baltic states weren't convinced it might not return in some form?
          That's true, of course, but the conflation of three very different things confused me

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

With a large ethnic Russian component, and the entry of military personnel in civvi dress in Ukraine, the Baltic states have good reason to worry about concocted "unrest", intervention, etc. I had to leave during the course of the programme - but the description of the festivals of singing being the one form of resistance to the Russians open to them, made a big impression - and it has left a legacy in a healthy choral movement, if I'm not mistaken?

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
              That's true, of course, but the conflation of three very different things confused me
              The phrase come down is confusing - Churchil talked of 'an iron curtain' being 'drawn down' - so I suppose at its end it should really be thought of as being 'raised'.

On the other hand, the Wall couldn't do anything but come down when it was dismantled!

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                ...festivals of singing being the one form of resistance to the Russians open to them...
                A bit like the Church in Poland!

If only the Poles had expressed their pseudo-religious fervour through choral singing.

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  A bit like the Church in Poland!

If only the Poles had expressed their pseudo-religious fervour through choral singing.
                  "Pseudo-"?

Curiously, choral societies were associated with Serbian subversion in Bosnia-Hercegovina during the period of Austria-Hungarian rule towards the end of the nineteenth century.

Closer to home, but at about the same period they played an important part in the emergence of Welsh national consciousness as a popular phenomenon (previously, as in Ireland, an elite thing, initially arising among the gentry and then spreading among the emergent middle class).

Comment

Working...
                  X