• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

St Johns CC Guest boxed set

If anyone didn't hear Jeremy Summerly reviewing this, I thoroughly recommend it. George Guest was a genius and brought so much sheer musicality to all he touched. Sorry I can't do a link (I'm on a fluky tablet) but the item begins about 1hr 36mins from the start of today's Record Review.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Fascinating and very tempting. Good coverage by Mr Heighes.

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

Details of the box here :-

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

An hour of fascinating conversation and mouth-watering excerpts. What a choir trainer! Interesting to hear the two performances of 'King Jesus had a garden'; John's and Kings. No contest as to which was the most involving and moving, though it was politely put down to acoustical difference of the two chapels. I'll have to save up for this box as untold pleasures await on the strength of this review.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xyrq6

Fascinating and very tempting. Good coverage by Mr Heighes.
          ??

1030 Andrew talks to Jeremy Summerly about a recent reissue of classic recordings of the Choir of St John's College Cambridge on the Argo label.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Sadly, you now have to complete a rather intrusive registration process in order to listen again,despite having paid for the service already.

Which is a pain,as I rather fancy hearing the piece about Dusapin.

Edit: actually,the registration seems only to be compulsory on the main BBC link given above.
            Iplayer radio still has it as optional. But not for long.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
              • Nov 2010

On a similar theme perhaps those who haven't seen this might like to view the fascinating documentary made by Gethin Stoodly Thomas and BBC Wales as part of the Network series.
              https://youtu.be/2ZZpb2r0dFwO

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Sadly, you now have to complete a rather intrusive registration process in order to listen again,despite having paid for the service already.

Which is a pain,as I rather fancy hearing the piece about Dusapin.

Edit: actually,the registration seems only to be compulsory on the main BBC link given above.
                Iplayer radio still has it as optional. But not for long.
                Indeed the 'registration' process is a pain and an insult to owners of the BBC, I,e, us. Yet more usernames and passwords to forget. And you need to log in on every device you use, Abandon it quickly please BBC.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Y Mab Afradlon View Post
                  On a similar theme perhaps those who haven't seen this might like to view the fascinating documentary made by Gethin Stoodly Thomas and BBC Wales as part of the Network series.
                  https://youtu.be/2ZZpb2r0dFwO
                  Thanks for that Y Mab. A trip down memory lane, if only for the haircuts. Can anyone imagine a documentary being made like that today...with ENTIRE pieces of music being played, and no 3 second shots and no cavorting presenter?

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

And did you hear the piece of Victoria from the Malcolm era Drome Choir this a.m.? Utterly different from today's Drome sound.
                    I refer to it because there has been much talk of GG's 'continental sound' issue with John's, but George Malcolm's version at the Drome shows how relatively conservative GG actually was. And that GG sound was always being compared with KCC under Ord, Wilcocks et al.

Comment

Working...
                    X