Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lizzie
    • Nov 2010

Indeed, I do remember and very good it was too! You'll do a sort of 'SCF' route at some stage! All best

Comment

• omega consort
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
      Indeed, I do remember and very good it was too! You'll do a sort of 'SCF' route at some stage! All best
      Thanks Lizzie! 2018 is Portsmouth and 2019 Guildford. Salisbury will have to wait (though we were there in 1998 and 2005)! We loved our week in Winchester; all the staff were so welcoming and warm towards us. My only negative was all the scaffold and wood in the quire, but I guess without that, there wouldn't be a cathedral!
      Richard

Comment

• Nazard
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
        Lizzie,

I wish the lady Precentor had sung as well. I'm sure she is very good in all other aspects of the job but she hasn't got a decent singing voice and it spoilt this service for me.

It is very difficult for any cathedral to find clergy who can sing well these days so why not just accept this and let one of the lay clerks intone.

VCC.
        May I ask the purpose for putting the precentor's gender so pointedly in the above post? It strikes me that their singing ability is unrelated to their gender.

Forgive me, but your wording might suggest that you think there *is* a link...?

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

The kids / trebles in the choir I sing with regularly always say that the lady precentor is actually MORE difficult to pitch from than the gentleman.
          Why, no-one can explain. I can't either, except from experience, I agree with the front row.

Comment

• mw963
            • Feb 2012

The rare times I was let loose on the organ (many years ago) we had a late-middle aged lady-reader who sometimes did Evensong. She was great fun, and always sidled up to the organist before any service with the words "Tenor G (or A) for me dear boy, it works so much better".

And it did....

Comment

• Tenebrae
              • Mar 2012

The pitch or gender should be, and are absolutely irrelevant to a decent choir. Vocal quality and consistency of intonation is another thing

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Phew, for a moment, I'd deceived myself that I was singing with a decent choir.

Comment

• Tenebrae
                  • Mar 2012

Quality is subjective and relative. Winchester CC are not the Sixteen but they are miles above the average, and as such I can assure you they will have problems with inconsistent intonation but not with either the octave, or gender of the Precentor

Comment

• Nazard
                    • Aug 2014

I don't think VCC was saying that the gender of the Precentor or the octave that she was singing in was adversely affecting the choir.

But what he did say was that she was not a singer of adequate quality to be singing the office and as part of that point, he deliberately stated that it was a female Precentor. Therefore, aligning her gender with her alleged lack of singing ability. That's what I was questioning VCC on.

Comment

• Lizzie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nazard View Post
                      I don't think VCC was saying that the gender of the Precentor or the octave that she was singing in was adversely affecting the choir.

But what he did say was that she was not a singer of adequate quality to be singing the office and as part of that point, he deliberately stated that it was a female Precentor. Therefore, aligning her gender with her alleged lack of singing ability. That's what I was questioning VCC on.
                      I've held back from commenting on the VCC remark but, Sue has a very fine musicianship and her intonation is very easy to sing with. I should know, having done so, and I can't claim to be a singer of any superior, or probably even competent, quality. Our Cathedral Choirs, Boys, Girls, and Men, seem to manage extremely well, week in and week out! Do please some of you, try to get over the antipathy for the female being involved in cathedral music! It all becomes very tedious, repetitive and tiresomely! Oh yes, and whilst we're on the subject, we have a brand sparkly new Dean here in Winchester, who can also sing in tune! Bye, bye, Boys!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Indeed, Lizzie, agreed, and what irks me is that we also hear precentors of all stripes who must be a daily trial to their on tenterhooks choirs

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
                          I've held back from commenting on the VCC remark but, Sue has a very fine musicianship and her intonation is very easy to sing with. I should know, having done so, and I can't claim to be a singer of any superior, or probably even competent, quality. Our Cathedral Choirs, Boys, Girls, and Men, seem to manage extremely well, week in and week out! Do please some of you, try to get over the antipathy for the female being involved in cathedral music! It all becomes very tedious, repetitive and tiresomely! Oh yes, and whilst we're on the subject, we have a brand sparkly new Dean here in Winchester, who can also sing in tune! Bye, bye, Boys!
                          Here-here!

Comment

• sturkel
                            • Mar 2013

Many years ago now, in the early days of the Choir of the Abbey School, Tewkesbury, we occasionally had one of the Non-stipendiary curates acting as Precentor. He was a lovely man, and a fine priest, but a singer he was not, and he struggled with things like the Rose responses.
                            Every time he was due to sing a service, Michael Peterson would rehearse the responses, deliberately intoning at the wrong pitch, or with the wrong music, or both.
                            Once we had stopped laughing, we managed to ignore what he was doing and concentrate on getting what we had to sing right.
                            So in the service, whatever Father Gerald threw at us, we were ready for it.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                              Why do I get this feeling that jean will be on her way here now....??!!
                              She didn't need to be. She's clearly not the only person who notices that sort of thing.

Comment

• Lizzie
                                • Nov 2010

Jean and Lizzie, the formidable force for, 'Women against mysogeny', or WAM, as I like to think of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X