• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Holy Week-St John's Smith Square-Sunday 9th April

I only heard this on the car radio with much background noise. Seemed a nice selection of music. Nigel Short had, I guess, imposed a Norrington-style no vibrato policy. Must listen again when I have time.

The BBC Singers perform music written specifically for Palm Sunday by composers from the 16th century to the present day.
    Bruckner: Vexilla Regis (The Royal Banner), WAB 51
    Gibbons: Hosanna to the Son of David
    Pandolfo Zallamella: Ingrediente Domino
    Weelkes: Hosanna to the Son of David
    Victoria: Pueri Hebraeorum
    Poulenc: Vinea mea electa
    Pärt: The Woman with the Alabaster Box
    Rheinberger: Mass in E flat, Op. 109 ('Cantus Missae')
    Interval
    Plainsong: O salutaris
    Erik Esenvalds: O salutaris
    Plainsong: Pange lingua
    Bruckner: Pange lingua
    Tallis: O sacrum convivium
    Blow: My God, my god
    Casals: O vos omnes
    Byrd: Ne irascaris Domine - Civitas sancti tui
    BBC Singers
    Nigel Short (conductor).
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

One could compare the Byrd with the Choral Vespers performance from Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral [corrected - mopsus], still on iPlayer. I do miss the broadcasts we used to get at this time of year from St John's College though. Sometimes they've been on the choir's website; this year, because of late Easter, the service was detached from Passiontide and was on 11 March, but it isn't online.
    Last edited by mopsus; 10-04-17, 17:51. Reason: correcting an error

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
      One could compare the Byrd with the Choral Vespers performance from Westminster Cathedral, still on iPlayer...
      From Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, please!! Westminster aren't the only Catholics who sing!

This particular segment has also been discussed in the context of the whole day's EBU offering, here:

Last edited by jean; 10-04-17, 15:55.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

..or maybe here?

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Same thread.

I tried to link to the bit where the discussion of the concert started, actually #15, but I didn't manage it very well.

Comment

• mopsus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            From Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, please!! Westminster aren't the only Catholics who sing!
            My apologies for the careless mistake, which I've corrected.

In fact there used to be even more Catholic Cathedrals that broadcast in the CE slot. I recall a broadcast from Brentwood Cathedral for example, though what I remember now about it years later wasn't the music but the excellent homily. I think there may have been others that broadcast too?

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I am sure they have broadcast from Leeds, and I thought I remembered Clifton too, so I checked, and found

...Choral Vespers with the Big Buzzard Boogie Band from Clifton Cathedral in 2002...

Comment

• mopsus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                I am sure they have broadcast from Leeds, and I thought I remembered Clifton too, so I checked, and found

...Choral Vespers with the Big Buzzard Boogie Band from Clifton Cathedral in 2002...
                Oh yes, the Leeds one was not that long ago and I should have remembered the Clifton one because the choir evolved into the Exultate Singers, whom I joined a couple of years later.

Comment

• mopsus
                  • Nov 2010

There was a third broadcast of the Byrd Civitas sancti tui from Winchester College on 19 March which can also be compared, though it's only online for another few hours.

Comment

Working...
                  X