• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chester Cathedral Wed, 12th April 2017

CE Chester Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Salvator mundi (Howells)
    Responses: Plainsong
    Office Hymn: O Thou who through this Holy Week (Cheshire)
    Psalm 88 (Marlow)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 63: 1-9
    Canticles: Darke in A minor
    Second Lesson: Revelation 14: 18-15: 4
    Anthem: Attende Domine (Villette)

The Winchester Litany (Jonathan Harvey)

Philip Rushforth (Director of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Late Reminder!! Today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• mw963
      • Feb 2012

I thought the singing was excellent. Chester has done some good shows over the thirty years I've been listening, and the high standards seem to be maintained.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
        I thought the singing was excellent. Chester has done some good shows over the thirty years I've been listening, and the high standards seem to be maintained.
        But what was going on at the opening of the Howells introit? Seemed far more like 2 recordings being played a bar apart and with the first 'O' missing...
        Anyone any ideas?

Comment

• mw963
          • Feb 2012

TBH I missed the introit. I'll go and have a listen if it's still available....

Comment

• mw963
            • Feb 2012

You're quite right - some technical glitch - lots of digital clicks as well. The introit is lower level and "fades in". My guess is that there was some sort of problem putting it on the iplayer, but as I didn't hear the opening live I can't say for certain..... Very odd that a little bit appears to come round twice!

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
              You're quite right - some technical glitch - lots of digital clicks as well. The introit is lower level and "fades in". My guess is that there was some sort of problem putting it on the iplayer, but as I didn't hear the opening live I can't say for certain..... Very odd that a little bit appears to come round twice!
              I heard it live, but had just got into the car and turned it on as I pulled away, but despite that distraction thought it went out 'live' with the overdubbing, but convinced myself I couldn't have done. It certainly hasn't been edited out on iPlayer. Any technos out there who can clear this up?

Comment

• mw963
                • Feb 2012

If you heard it live then I wonder whether they were using two different digital lines back to London and either tried to swap from one to the other at the start of the show, or managed to fade both up simultaneously, and that the two lines had different latencies.

Only guessing....

Comment

• mw963
                  • Feb 2012

Without going into too many details, I've now been informed that the main feed back to London was a quite a long way behind the reserve feed, and there were various attempts - given that the main feed was suffering digital "bumps" - to choose the best version.

Comment

Working...
                  X