• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Paean for Organ (1966) - 4/10
    Gets 10/10 from me. I've ended many a festal service with it in the past. Terrific rhythmic drive, architecturally brilliant (NOT like the office blocks!) and all based on the opening motif...including the last chord. It's the rhythm I miss in so much 21st Century composition. OK, it's a sweeping statement ...and someone is sure to quote examples to the contrary!

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
      Here is one of my favourites. Definite shades of late Howells here (to my ears anyway).
      Suite for cello, oboe and string orchestra in memory of Gerald Finzi.Raphael Walfisch (cello), George Caird (oboe), Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, V...

I think I might have learnt about the piece from this forum.
      Thanks for that, Vox. What a lovely piece...new to me. Also a dash of Finzi? I might well try to include it in future programme planning....assuming hiring the parts isn't prohibitive.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
        Here is one of my favourites. Definite shades of late Howells here (to my ears anyway).
        Suite for cello, oboe and string orchestra in memory of Gerald Finzi.Raphael Walfisch (cello), George Caird (oboe), Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, V...

I think I might have learnt about the piece from this forum.
        Yes,I think it has featured on the neglected Brits thread.
        A wonderful piece.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          Don't miss last week's Choral Vespers from Liverpool, then - which nobody has had much to say about, sadly.
          Thanks Jean,I didn't.
          Perhaps everyone was blown away by the Solus

Howells & Leighton: Sacred Choral Music. ASV: CDDCA851. Buy Presto CD online. David Went (organ) The Choir of The Queen's College, Oxford, Matthew Owens

Comment

• mopsus
            • Nov 2010

We use Leighton's 'congregational' Communion in D sometimes at church, generally in penitential seasons when it's felt that something on the stern side is required. I put the word 'congregational' in quotes because I suspect that few congregations would have the courage to sing the part without the choir giving them a lead by singing along with them.

I've done his Easter Sequence in concert, but it's a bit long for a service. (It shades into Ascension, if I recall correctly). I think 'Give me the wings of faith' deserves an occasional outing. Other pieces by him that I've sung include 'Let all the world', 'O God enfold me in the sun', 'Quam dilecta' and a carol 'The star-song'.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Messiaen and Tallis stars for me. Quite neat, confident singing. I presume the girls today.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Messiaen and Tallis stars for me. Quite neat, confident singing. I presume the girls today.
                  Missed it live,caught up now,I agree about the star items.

Comment

Working...
                  X