• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Peterborough Cathedral Wed, April 5th 2017

CE Peterborough Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: Miserere nostri (Tallis)
    Responses: Richard Shephard
    Psalms 27, 28, 29 (Cooper, Ferguson, Marlow, Attwood)
    First Lesson: Job 36: 1-12
    Canticles: Second Service (Leighton)
    Second Lesson: John 14: 1-14
    Anthem: Lord, let me know mine end (Greene)
    Hymn: Ah, holy Jesu (Herzliebster Jesu)

Organ Voluntary: Jésus accepte la souffrance (La Nativité du Seigneur - Messiaen)

David Humphreys - Assistant Director of Music
    Steven Grahl - Director of Music
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

More Leighton,which is good,for me.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

...and good to see Maurice Greene on the list. This is one of the few pieces from his large output which gets a regular outing. Quite simple, but affective if done well, especially the 'Man walketh in a vain shadow' bit.

Comment

• mw963
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Well you can enjoy simultaneously the ever-so-slightly-smug feeling that there are others - me included - for whom the canticles are simply ruined by that particular choice of composer. Luckily I can arrange to take tea at that time.

I'm sure the lack of enlightenment is entirely my fault, and that I'm more to be pitied than censured......

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
          Well you can enjoy simultaneously the ever-so-slightly-smug feeling that there are others - me included - for whom the canticles are simply ruined by that particular choice of composer. Luckily I can arrange to take tea at that time.

I'm sure the lack of enlightenment is entirely my fault, and that I'm more to be pitied than censured......
          No smugness on my part I assure you.
          I just happen to think Leighton is a seriously neglected composer,more so in the concert hall,and am always thrilled when his work is performed.
          I urge lovers of his sacred and choral music to try his symphonies,especially the 2nd,concertos and chamber music.
          Blimey you've got to be careful what you say on this choir board.

Comment

• Colonel Danby
            • Nov 2010

I'm certainly looking forward to CE from Peterborough Cathedral on Wednesday, particularly when they are to sing the music of Kenneth Leighton: it's a bit of an old cliche, I suppose, but his music is certainly neglected which is a shame. I do have the Second Service on disc (Christopher Robinson and St John's Cambridge on Naxos) and also the Cello Concerto and Sym No 3 on Chandos, and even the Piano Music played by Eric Parkin on Abacus (which suggests that it is only the first volume of many, though I've never tracked down the others in the series). Household Pets Op 86, anyone?

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

It's a place for opinions, not an addendum to the Ten Commandments.
              If you can resist Leighton, you say so. If you like Leighton, say so. Quot homines etc.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Don't miss last week's Choral Vespers from Liverpool, then - which nobody has had much to say about, sadly.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Does anybody simultaneously listen to Music they love whilst feeling "ever-so-slightly-smug" that there are others who dislike it?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Does anybody simultaneously listen to Music they love whilst feeling "ever-so-slightly-smug" that there are others who dislike it?
                    And, if it comes to that, no one is to be "pitied or censured" for not liking anything that gives Listener X enormous pleasure. Listener X "misses out" on other things that he doesn't like … (And yet people do say, Well, I feel very sorry for you ……)
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Yes, me too!

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Very appropriate to the present season is Leighton's Crucifixus pro Nobis, for choir, organ and tenor soloist. It ends with the gorgeous Drop, Drop Slow Tears.

This recording may be of interest:

...and if anyone not sure about Leighton wants an 'easy listening' taster, try this:

Drop, Drop, Slow TearsMusic by Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988)Text by Phineas Fletcher (1582-1650)From the CD 'Of Earth & Heaven', available on iTunesBrisbane C...

Comment

• Keraulophone
                          • Nov 2010

Local Leighton repertoire is limited to:

Responses (1964) - 10/10
                          Coventry Carol (1956, Lully, Lulla) - 9/10
                          Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis (Magdalen Service) (1959) - 5/10
                          Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis (Second Service) (1972) - 4/10. Could be thought too aggressive for use during Passiontide ('for he that is mighty... He hath showed strength... to be a light...') despite beginning and ending quiety. Least favourite bits are the organ interludes before both Glorias. The work is dedicated to the memory of Brian Runnett, Organist of Norwich Cathedral 1967-70, killed in a car accident at the age of 35. A brilliant player, he had won the Limpus and Read prizes for FRCO whilst still at school.

Paean for Organ (1966) - 4/10
                          'The musical equivalent of a 1960s office block in Croydon' (quotation transcribed from BBC MB era).

(Ratings pertain to personal enjoyment derived from singing/playing it for forty years.)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Comment

• Vox Humana
                              • Dec 2012

I urge lovers of his sacred and choral music to try his symphonies,especially the 2nd,concertos and chamber music.
                              Here is one of my favourites. Definite shades of late Howells here (to my ears anyway).
                              Suite for cello, oboe and string orchestra in memory of Gerald Finzi.Raphael Walfisch (cello), George Caird (oboe), Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, V...

I think I might have learnt about the piece from this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X