X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks Barry. That certainly helps, though I can't help feeling York was more unfocused (not the choir) than most.

Pulcinella, did you manage to go in person? Maybe you could comment.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Thanks Barry. That certainly helps, though I can't help feeling York was more unfocused (not the choir) than most.

Pulcinella, did you manage to go in person? Maybe you could comment.
      Yes, I was there, but was holding fire on commenting until I had a chance to listen to the broadcast.
      Sadly, I'm busy Sunday afternoon, so it may be a Listen Again, not great on my iPad.

I would be interested to learn why Draco thought it was not 'great'.
      As a newcomer to York, I have been to only a few services so far (mainly Saturdays: they have been working their way through several Howells settings), and thought that this one was probably the best so far, though the St John's service is not a particular favourite.
      It is not an easy place to sing in: even trying to join in the hymn is difficult.
      There is no 'support' from the building: I find that the organ is a little woolly sounding, and it seems somehow not to lead the singing.
      I also happen not to like the way that the last word of each verse of the psalms is treated: it almost fades away or gets clipped.
      And I haven't yet found the best place to sit to get a blended sound (if one exists); individual voices seem a little too noticeable for my taste.
      That said, the music list is certainly impressive, so all credit to them for that.

The service took a slightly different form than usual, and we were forewarned of the Westminster incident, so there would be no congregational gasps at the prayer. Normally, there are introductory 'sentences' (some sort of proper for the day?) sung (I think in the south quire aisle) and the choir then moves to under the central tower for the introit, after which it processes into the quire. (Similarly, at the end of the service they process out, there are some concluding 'sentences' sung, and then the voluntary starts.) But on Wednesday, everyone was in place, waiting for the red light.

I thought that the Sheppard was a particularly brilliant and effective start (though I'm not sure that it is a Lenten piece, it being an antiphon at matins on Trinity Sunday, according to the service sheet!).

There was a group of what looked like four microphones placed in the middle of the choir/quire, possibly one nearer the altar, and apparently one outside the quire, to pick up that 'side' of the organ.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, it was the boys of the choir on the top line this week; the girls are equally impressive.

(I'm hoping to go to Sung Eucharist for the Feast of the Annunciation tomorrow: Victoria Missa Ave regina coelorum and Parsons Ave Maria; it's a joy for me to have access to such music just a short bicycle ride away.)
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-03-17, 17:09. Reason: Getting my quires and choirs mixed up!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

A plug, if I may, for this CD, just released (no financial kickback to me, I assure you!):

It includes the Byrd Vide Domine, and I have just had an email from a friend who writes.....

The recording company has been even better to the Choir than the BBC, and for a disc made in the resonant acoustic of the Minster with such a big choir, the detail and balance are impressive.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

It is not an easy place to sing in: even trying to join in the hymn is difficult.
          There is no 'support' from the building
          Thanks Pulcinella. It is sometimes the case with very large buildings, especially ones with transepts, lofty crossings and large side-aisles. It feels as if singing into a void. A 'basilica' shape seems to be best acoustically...though having said that, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. No doubt Robert Sharpe misses the kindly acoustic of Truro!

I'd like to stress that my misgivings were entirely to do with my 'listener experience' on i-player. I thought the trebles sounded very assured in the Howells canticles...not one of Herber's best-known (or even best loved?) set, but I like them.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Thanks Pulcinella.
            You're welcome.
            I'd like to stress that my misgivings were entirely to do with my 'listener experience' on i-player. I thought the trebles sounded very assured in the Howells canticles...not one of Herber's best-known (or even best loved?) set, but I like them.
            Not my favourite Howells setting, as I said, but the section from He remembering his mercies is a tingle factor moment for me, and tingle I did on Wednesday! Howells certainly knew how to float a treble line over the rest of the choir.

Comment

• mw963
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Barry Rose View Post
              The logic behind this was the announcer's voice peaked high and was very immediate,
              And probably the announcer was peaking to four rather than six, if it was back in the days when Cormac Rigby ran Presentation so admirably, so even less of a contrast to smooth out....

Always good to hear the views of someone who - deservedly - is such a legend!

Incidentally ardcarp I don't disagree with you, the balance on the day was rather odd, but that's a different problem to the one of jumps in level.
              Last edited by mw963; 25-03-17, 17:00.

Comment

Working...
              X