X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Most tablets are too small to be much use for performers.

Comment

• mopsus
      • Nov 2010

I've used an iPad to sing a short bit of plainchant in a service, and for a rehearsal of a small group of singers in someone's home. It's a bit awkward moving around a score from page to page though, and there is the markup issue.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Most tablets are too small to be much use for performers.
        That's why performers who use them use larger ones!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

I'm amazed by the faith performers put in ipads.

I think I saw Tasmin Little using one for the Ligeti ( actually here she is), but if the way my ipad behaves when doing work presentations, ( not time sensitive in quite the same way) is anything to go by, I certainly wouldn't be trusting one to know what comes next in live performance.
          Do they not freeze? go to blue screen? go to an open page on the R3 forum at inconvenient moments?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Do they not freeze? go to blue screen? go to an open page on the R3 forum at inconvenient moments?
            Not in any of the instances where I've seen them in use, which is a lot actually, including a multiple-day recording session. The iPad doesn't have to know what's coming next anyway, it just has to display the next (or previous) page in response to the performer pressing a pedal. On the other hand Tamsin Little doesn't use an iPad but something considerably larger, maybe purpose-built.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Not in any of the instances where I've seen them in use, which is a lot actually, including a multiple-day recording session. The iPad doesn't have to know what's coming next anyway, it just has to display the next (or previous) page in response to the performer pressing a pedal. On the other hand Tamsin Little doesn't use an iPad but something considerably larger, maybe purpose-built.
              Seems I need an upgrade....yes I thought the Tasmin Little machine looked large, but I kind of assumed there is a big sized ipad that my bosses were too mean to buy.....

More interesting( to me, professionally) would be ways ( if any) that music publishers are dealing with the new world they find themselves in.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                That's why performers who use them use larger ones!
                How large?

Comment

• mopsus
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I'm amazed by the faith performers put in ipads.

I think I saw Tasmin Little using one for the Ligeti ( actually here she is), but if the way my ipad behaves when doing work presentations, ( not time sensitive in quite the same way) is anything to go by, I certainly wouldn't be trusting one to know what comes next in live performance.
                  I saved the music to the iPad as PDFs, so I didn't need an internet connexion when I performed/rehearsed it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                    I saved the music to the iPad as PDFs, so I didn't need an internet connexion when I performed/rehearsed it.
                    When I do work presentations , they are also on PDF..........the machine definitely had an issue with PDFs at one time, ( when quite new)which made it go to blue screen, and required turning off and on again to get it rolling. It really would have been a nuisance for the soloist in the middle of the Ligeti VC.
                    ( The problem seems to have sorted itself out now, I'm excited to tell you !!)

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Last time I went to a London Show (can't remember which one...maybe the dying throes of Billy Elliot for my g-kids?) the DoM was directing from a screen and playing bits on a keyboard. It seems that as shows run on and on, the pit 'orchestras' are pared down to save cash. But that's another issue......

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Angela Hewitt certainly had a device of some sort when I saw her perform the JSB French Suites here in January; she laid it flat at the right of the instrument, not on the music stand, and I was not aware of her consulting it or touching anything to cause the display to change. Perhaps it was simply a reminder of the running order she had chosen!

Comment

• Vile Consort
                          • Nov 2010

You actually have a printer? Not many people do these days.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Really?

Comment

• PeterboroughDiapason
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              The ones I get sent are all from Choral Wiki and thus photocopiable by definition.
                              Not necessarily. Some music which is Public Domain in the USA but not here is there - e.g. Tertius Noble.
                              However there is lots of music that is not PD on IMSLP. (Vaughan Williams to name one)

Comment

Working...
                              X