• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bullock in D
    • Jun 2024

So what is your favourite cathedral?

Just a bit of late bank holiday fun....

I am very fond of Chichester because it is so intimate and various....but Ely does it for me, especially on a cold Fenland winter's night at evensong......
  • Lizzie
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bullock in D View Post
    Just a bit of late bank holiday fun....

I am very fond of Chichester because it is so intimate and various....but Ely does it for me, especially on a cold Fenland winter's night at evensong......
    Obviously Winchester because it's where I go and then Liverpool Anglican because I have friends there but, of all the other English and Welsh ones (I've been to all except St David's, Brecon and Leicester), Durham is my favourite. I love its position, the association with St Cuthbert and Bede, and although the Choir was on hols when I visited, the sound was lovely. The Norman architecture appeals to me and I adore the Frosterly marble pillars. So there! Liz

Comment

• Anna

For me, it has to be Durham, because of the architecture and, sounds silly, those wonderful chevrons although I must admit it may not be the most spiritual Cathedrals because the architecture over powers everything.. I also have a great fondness for Worcester, which is a bit of a shambles. The last time I went to Chichester I thought it smelt awfully damp.

Comment

• Triforium
        • Nov 2010

Durham followed by Lincoln as far as Cathedrals go. If you broaden the category a bit, Beverly Minster is one of my favourite buildings.

Comment

• Lizzie
          • Nov 2010

Durham ahead by a couple of lengths so far then!?

Comment

• prokkyshosty

Wells, due to the creepy but wonderful Owl of God.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
              Wells, due to the creepy but wonderful Owl of God.
              Wells, better outside than inside I think.

And does anyone know that awful Epstein monstrosity suspended in Llandaff? St. Davids is lovely I think.

Comment

• Magnificat

Architecturally, Lincoln is easily the most impressive building in this country.

King's College Chapel is, without doubt, one of finest ecclesiastical buildings in Europe.

VCC

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Durham. Not just the cathedral but the whole fantastic setting. I lived on The Bailey right next to it as a student for a couple of years in the late sixties. Choral Evensong was daily taken for granted and I used its cloisters and nave as a shortcut to Palace Green.

Comment

• Lizzie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Wells, better outside than inside I think.

And does anyone know that awful Epstein monstrosity suspended in Llandaff? St. Davids is lovely I think.
                    Apart from the lovely staircase... Llandaff's setting in the hollow is lovely though, especially when the roses are out!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Chartres is the daddy of them all.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

50/50 between Worcester with the position in my [almost] favourite county and memories of the music I have heard there and Canterbury.
                        I haven't been to either of them for some years but used to attend CE at Canterbury fairly often and the history of the place is overwhelming. I wonder whether they still keep bits of Reculver down in the Crypt.

And I used to know a lot more about the architecture and windows than I do now as memory is going fast.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          50/50 between Worcester with the position in my [almost] favourite county and memories of the music I have heard there and Canterbury.
                          I haven't been to either of them for some years but used to attend CE at Canterbury fairly often and the history of the place is overwhelming. I wonder whether they still keep bits of Reculver down in the Crypt.

And I used to know a lot more about the architecture and windows than I do now as memory is going fast.
                          But have you ever been to Durham?
                          It is quite wonderful and right amidst the coalfields!

Comment

• Anna

Not sure if anyone knows Gloucester, the Cloisters there are wonderful, as is the stained glass.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Salymap
                              Yes, Canterbury. The sense of the time when things were not quite so … organised and established? is immediate. I used to enjoy walking around and just breathing the air in the dark corners but not since they started charging for entrance (£9.00 now!) some 15 years ago. The town itself is going downhill fast since they built a monstrous shopping centre. Very sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X