X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArpSchnitger
    • Jul 2012

Upper voices Evensong

I was debating whether to include this in the other thread on the changing face of broadcast evensongs, but will keep it separate.
    I was wondering when the last time an Upper voices Evensong was broadcast? Looking back through my archive of recordings, I can find a boys' voices Evensong from Gloucester in 1985, and a broadcast from Bramdean School in the 1990s, but apart from that, nothing.
    I was also thinking it would make a refreshing change for such a service to be broadcast (though it might require some padding to take it up to a full hour), as there is some fine upper voice repertoire, both old but increasing newly written. Quite a few Cathedrals and other choral foundations do have midweek CEs sung by one of other of their top lines alone as a regular feature, and it would be good to hear some of the new settings composed in recent years (a rather fine recent recording by Ely Girls of new Mag&Nunc settings is a good example of that).
    Doubtless the various practical issues and constraints of the early Wednesday broadcast time (and all the prior rehearsals and soundchecks) might make turning this idea into reality just that little harder.
  • Vox Humana
    • Dec 2012

I hope rogbi200 will forgive me for hijacking his tread before it's even got going, but how about the same for men's voice services? I can remember one from Guildford under St Barry in the 70s and one from Windsor under Christopher Robinson (featuring a couple of very interesting Anglican chants by him), but those are the only ones I can recall. There is certainly the repertoire out there to support to odd service for upper or lower voices. I wouldn't want to see many of them, but every once in a while it would make a rare treat.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
      • Nov 2010

There was one by the BBC Singers conducted by Barry Rose in the mid to late 80's - People of Zion - Jackson; Harris Responses; Sheppard First Service and I cannot recall the anthem. And we did have another from the Windsor during TBW's time. But I agree once in a while is enough.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
        I hope rogbi200 will forgive me for hijacking his tread before it's even got going, but how about the same for men's voice services? I can remember one from Guildford under St Barry in the 70s and one from Windsor under Christopher Robinson (featuring a couple of very interesting Anglican chants by him), but those are the only ones I can recall. There is certainly the repertoire out there to support to odd service for upper or lower voices. I wouldn't want to see many of them, but every once in a while it would make a rare treat.

On-demand webcasts of our five lessons & carols services from December 2016 are available.Read more...

They regularly live webcast men only Evensongs and Eucharists.

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/music/services

They regularly live webcast men only Evensongs and Eucharists.
          Are they paying you for all this advertising?!

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Do you know any other foundation that REGULARLY webcasts men-only Evensongs / Eucharists? And of a similarly high standard of singing? And is a free listen?

It is not 'advertising', and neither do I get paid. It is an attempt to bring notice of likely good things to interested Forumites as a Host of The Choir threads might reasonably be expected to do.

Comment

Working...
            X