Order of Service:

Introit: A Boy Was Born (Britten)
    Responses: Ayleward
    Psalms 110, 111 (Smart, Woodward)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 49: 1-7
    Canticles: Dyson in D
    Second Lesson: Hebrews 1: 1-12
    Anthem: Christmas Sequence (Robin Holloway) first broadcast
    Carol: The First Nowell (arr. Willcocks)

Organ Voluntary: Les Enfants de Dieu (La Nativité) (Messiaen)

Organ Scholars: Alexander Little, Thomas Fetherstonhaugh
    Director of Music: Benjamin Nicholas
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I didn't want to comment on this, since I know Merton well and thought I might be biased. It was a very atmospheric and enjoyable hour though. The choir is on great form recently and it seemed to me that the engineers did a wonderful job. The Holloway was a very substantial piece in its latest form.

I am pleased that the college choir seems to be getting plenty of exposure these days. Everything is always very smooth and professional - including the contributions from the very approachable and friendly chaplain.

Many thanks to all concerned. It was just like being there, apart from the temperature - Merton must have the coldest chapel in Oxford.

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed this service too. 'A boy was born' set the devotional atmosphere which continued throughout. The Holloway sounds a hard sing. Last week's choir and Merton have gone for tough anthems which must have dissipated any new year lethargy. The BBC balance of the choir and organ seems more distant than Delphian use on their excellent recordings in the Chapel. I had a sense of sitting well back which gave a sense of place around the sound, without the chill apparently!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          Merton must have the coldest chapel in Oxford.
          I think you're right, but I've often wondered why it should be. Any ideas? They do have heating, don't they?

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
            The Holloway was a very substantial piece in its latest form.
            That is one way of describing it. I found it long, rambling, and incoherent.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              That is one way of describing it. I found it long, rambling, and incoherent.
              ..but nice and Christmassy!

Comment

• mopsus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                I think you're right, but I've often wondered why it should be. Any ideas? They do have heating, don't they?
                I was an undergraduate at Merton in the 1980's and am a Friend of the Choir now, going to services occasionally, though I wasn't at this week's broadcast. As far as I can recall the heating to the Chapel is delivered the same way as it was in the 1980's - by pipes passing through the stalls at about knee height. They were I suspect fairly new when I was a student, so a bit antiquated now. I think it's also a very difficult building to heat because of its size and height, including the huge ante-chapel and the very open and unfurnished East end, and being not that far from the river doesn't help. The solution adopted in many mediaeval churches, of hanging glowing electric heaters from pillars and the sides of the nave, would probably be rejected on aesthetic grounds. We Mertonians, who endured similarly cold temperatures in our College rooms, took the chill in Chapel in our stride.

Historically the Fellows of Merton have been resistant to spending money on the Chapel and its music, and I've always been amazed the choral foundation got off the ground without a big appeal for money to old members (the first I heard of it was from 'Music and Musicians' in Private Eye!). But having invested in the foundation, and to some extent in the new organ, I suspect the College won't fund major expenditure on the Chapel (apart from necessary repairs and maintenance) for a while.

I'll say something about the service when I've listened to it again.
                Last edited by mopsus; 13-01-17, 23:59.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                  I was an undergraduate at Merton in the 1980's and am a Friend of the Choir now, going to services occasionally, though I wasn't at this week's broadcast. As far as I can recall the heating to the Chapel is delivered the same way as it was in the 1980's - by pipes passing through the stalls at about knee height. They were I suspect fairly new when I was a student, so a bit antiquated now. I think it's also a very difficult building to heat because of its size and height, including the huge ante-chapel and the very open and unfurnished East end. The solution adopted in many mediaeval churches, of hanging glowing electric heaters from pillars and the sides of the nave, would probably be rejected on aesthetic grounds.

That makes sense. I was at a nearby college from 1982 to 1986, and went to Merton quite often to sing in concerts there. Now you mention them, those pipes are coming back to me! Thanks, mopsus,

Comment

Working...
                  X