X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatscorrell
    • Dec 2016

Rochester Cathedral Carol Service for Radio Kent

If you have not yet had quite enough of Christmas Carols (and it is only the fifth day!), you might like to have a listen to the carol service that we recorded live for Radio Kent.

Here is the link:
    Recorded at Rochester Cathedral, with readings by your favourite Radio Kent presenters.

The choir repertoire is:
    Alleluia, a new work is come on hand: Mathias
    The Lamb: Tavener
    Novo profusi gaudio: Matthew Martin
    Midwinter: Chilcott
    Tomorrow shall be my dancing day: Gardner

All the usual congregational hymns with descants, but it does include Stephen Cleobury's early Once in royal descant which I personally think is unbeatable.

Organist:James Norrey
    Director: Scott Farrell

The mics are a little close for the choir items so there is nowhere to hide!

I hope that you will enjoy it.
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Hello Fatscorell. I see you are new here, so welcome.

You are right, I am still eating post Christmas day fare, and am not quite up for a 9 Lessons at the moment. But my interest is caught by your remark about the descant. Over the years I have felt that those by Ledger and Willcocks carry the day for me. However, my interest is not very informed, I went to Kings 9 L&C a few times in the 1970s but since that time I haven't been involved in church music so my judgement is superficial. I've quuickly brought up the link on iPlayer and found the verse in question (it starts at 04:55 for anyone interested).

I'll return to it later and give the descant (and the repertoire you pointed out) a fair hearing.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Welcome to the Forum, and many thx for Rochester Cath heads up.

Comment

• W.Kearns
        • Dec 2010

I'm not sure that FS/SF is as new a contributor as you think. I am sure I remember some trenchant comments from Rochester in the past.

Comment

• fatscorrell
          • Dec 2016

Thanks for the welcome. It is indeed a reappearance after a number of years. Maybe a dangerous place for a Cathedral DoM?!

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by fatscorrell View Post
            If you have not yet had quite enough of Christmas Carols (and it is only the fifth day!), you might like to have a listen to the carol service that we recorded live for Radio Kent.

The mics are a little close for the choir items so there is nowhere to hide!

I hope that you will enjoy it.
            Your choir gave an excellent account for themselves, despite the mic setting and James's excellent pedal technique was certainly proved with a mic seemingly placed mid-Ophicleide.

Comment

Working...
            X