Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A Meditation on Christ's Nativity - Weds 21st Dec

...another 'archive' broadcast:

A Meditation on Christ's Nativity
    Choral Evensong

An archive service from 2008 of music and readings offering a meditation on Christ's Nativity, with the Choir of Clare College, Cambridge. Music was the (then) first broadcast performance of 'Ex Maria Virgine' - a sequence of Christmas carols by John Tavener completed on Christmas Day 2005.

John Tavener: Ex Maria Virgine
    (Verbum caro; Nowell! Nowell! Out of your sleep; Remember O thou man; Sweet was the song; Ave rex angelorum; There is no rose; Ding dong! merrily on high; Rocking; Unto us is born a Son)

Director of Music: Timothy Brown
    Organist: Simon Thomas Jacobs.
  • omega consort
    • Sep 2013

Well..........as everyone else is being quiet about this, or (more likely) heavily involved in Advent and Christmas services, I would just like to say how much I enjoyed this. The Tavener was new to me - The highlight was his treatment of Ding Dong! Merrily - very difficult to perform I would imagine. The choir were full-blooded and the singing spirited. Good to hear the St John's organ sounding well.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

'John's Organ' ? Recording was of Clare College Ch, so.......was it recorded in St John's?
      Do you know something about this archive broadcast that the R3 schedule info-writers don't?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Thx.
        'Tho strange that they did not re-produce precise site info in current listings?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          'John's Organ' ? Recording was of Clare College Ch, so.......was it recorded in St John's?
          Do you know something about this archive broadcast that the R3 schedule info-writers don't?
          My guess is that omega consort did know, but on the other hand the John's organ, once heard, can never be mistaken for any other, and certainly not Clare's!

Comment

• omega consort
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
            My guess is that omega consort did know, but on the other hand the John's organ, once heard, can never be mistaken for any other, and certainly not Clare's!
            I didn't have any "inside information" - I am sure it was announced as being recorded in St Johns? Anyway - it certainly wasn't recorded in Clare as (a) they don't have an acoustic like that and (b) their organ doesn't have a 32" reed which, on this broadcast was used quite a bit!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by omega consort View Post
              I didn't have any "inside information" - I am sure it was announced as being recorded in St Johns? Anyway - it certainly wasn't recorded in Clare as (a) they don't have an acoustic like that and (b) their organ doesn't have a 32" reed which, on this broadcast was used quite a bit!
              Apologies for the slight mis-speculation, and agreed!

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Erm..............ahem...see message 4 upthread!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Erm..............ahem...see message 4 upthread!
                  I was mis-speculating about omega consort's post which was followed his/her having heard the programme but preceded post 4. But it doesn't really matter.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Fair enough............

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X