X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Choir of the Year 2016

It would appear that this competition now does not merit any TV presence at all. The Grand Final is tonight on R3, and apparently section finalists have been 'featured' on The Choir. Meanwhile on BBC2 Gareth Malone's Best in Britain Grand Final is also being aired. I have nothing against GM, but find it a pretty dispiriting state of affairs when his high profile, entertaining and successful efforts to get the population singing don't seem to be matched by the Beeb's commitment to showing off the best singing groups in the country in a competition that only happens every second year for crying out loud - so not exactly hogging the airtime.
    What warped mindset considers it OK to parade talentless wannabes week after week in tacky superficial shows but can't get it together to give even a smidgeon of exposure to hard work, dedication and genuine talent? It's not even as if the elitist R3 repertoire card can be played, since a great deal of what is sung is accessible, engaging, possibly already familiar to many. And what a missed opportunity to get 'classical music' (and vocal alternatives to the unrelenting and limited pop offerings) to a wider audience - all the relatives and friends of the participants, especially the children's and youth sections.
  • Vox Humana
    • Dec 2012

The final will be televised on BBC4 at 8.00 p.m. next Sunday.

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      It would appear that this competition now does not merit any TV presence at all. The Grand Final is tonight on R3, and apparently section finalists have been 'featured' on The Choir. Meanwhile on BBC2 Gareth Malone's Best in Britain Grand Final is also being aired. I have nothing against GM, but find it a pretty dispiriting state of affairs when his high profile, entertaining and successful efforts to get the population singing don't seem to be matched by the Beeb's commitment to showing off the best singing groups in the country in a competition that only happens every second year for crying out loud - so not exactly hogging the airtime.
      What warped mindset considers it OK to parade talentless wannabes week after week in tacky superficial shows but can't get it together to give even a smidgeon of exposure to hard work, dedication and genuine talent? It's not even as if the elitist R3 repertoire card can be played, since a great deal of what is sung is accessible, engaging, possibly already familiar to many. And what a missed opportunity to get 'classical music' (and vocal alternatives to the unrelenting and limited pop offerings) to a wider audience - all the relatives and friends of the participants, especially the children's and youth sections.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
        The final will be televised on BBC4 at 8.00 p.m. next Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcfour/20161211
        I stand corrected - but it's still a lost opportunity in my view.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

And I've just looked at the website so now know who won....

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I stand corrected - but it's still a lost opportunity in my view.
            Can't disagree with that.

Comment

Working...
            X