X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quilisma
    • Dec 2010

Happy Ninetieth Birthday, Arthur Wills!

Members of this forum may be interested to know that today is the ninetieth birthday of the legendary Arthur Wills. He arrived at Ely Cathedral as Assistant Organist and Tenor Lay Clerk in 1949, and when Michael Howard succeeded Sidney Campbell as Organist and Master of the Choristers in 1953 he (and countertenor John Whitworth as voice trainer) helped to revolutionise the repertoire and sound-world of the choir to provide a more fitting match with the acoustics, architecture and scale of the building. He succeeded Michael Howard as Director of Music in 1958 and stayed in post until 1990, whereupon he handed over the reins to Paul Trepte. He was also responsible for a radical quasi-French rebuild of the organ in the mid 1970s, again better to suit the demands of the building and of his preferred repertoire,and most of this was retained in the subsequent rebuild at the turn of the millennium. He is still a very regular presence in the Cathedral and his compositions feature very prominently in our repertoire. We marked the occasion this weekend at an RSCM Festival of Church Music in King's College, Cambridge (the first public "outing" for the newly reinstated organ, and also the first appearance of Ely Cathedral Choir in Cambridge for a very long time), at which four of his compositions were sung or played, and yesterday morning back in Ely we sang his Missa Eliensis "on location" and one of his settings of Ave Verum Corpus. He attended both occasions, and he is most certainly in sparkling form. Our forthcoming CE broadcast in November once again features several of his compositions. Many Happy Returns, Arthur!
  • W.Kearns
    • Dec 2010

Is 'Tongues of Flame' one of his compositions? I ask typing in haste without having checked, so apologies if I'm mistaken. The piece I have in mind was certainly one of his; I remember hearing it at Ely in the late-ish 1970s and enjoying it. All good wishes to Dr Wills on his birthday.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

I was delighted to chance upon a recital Arthur gave at Cromer Parish Church some years ago.

Quite a player.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday from me too.

Here's a list (though probably not comprehensive) of Arthur's works:

...and here's Tongues of Fire:

IMO, he's a 'proper' composer, not just a church musician who happens to write a few bits and pieces.

Comment

• W.Kearns
          • Dec 2010

Many thanks, Ardcarp, for correct title and link. What to total delight to hear to the piece again.

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            IMO, he's a 'proper' composer, not just a church musician who happens to write a few bits and pieces.
            He certainly is. I won't pretend I like all of it, but that's neither here nor there. It's all very professionally written and it works. I used to enjoy the Missa Eliensis, but haven't heard it for years.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Happy Birthday from me too.

Here's a list (though probably not comprehensive) of Arthur's works:

...and here's Tongues of Fire:

As you suggest that 'allmusic' list is far from being 'all music' of his.
              Who can forget such carols as 'Ding dong!' & with my fav. lyrics: 'crib in a market, electrically lit, Passed all the shoppers unconsciously flit' - that'll just be me then: I'll get me coat...

Comment

• Quilisma
                • Dec 2010

Incidentally, people may or may not like this. (N.B. The soundtrack was a "Plan B", knocked off in the only remaining spare five minutes of last term, with people still wandering round the Cathedral...) #LearnPlaySing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhKQ4fS1Oj4

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Comment

Working...
                  X