• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

A test for memories!

A listener would like you to cast your minds back to the early 1990s: and it could have been on Choral Evensong …

an all-female choir, possibly French

traditional French carols, with some in English

one a version of Away in a Manger, with a 'somewhat melancholic tune' accompanied by a woodwind instrument

period instruments

He says, 'Unfortunately I'm not very classically aware when it comes to choirs or particular instruments', but he would be very grateful if this strikes a chord or rings a bell with any long-term listener.

This, I'm afraid is all the information the young child (as he was) can give. The tricky point, I'm afraid, is that it may not have been Radio 3 or Choral Evensong. But that's your Starter for Five

A further thought: this is the Radio 3 schedule for Wednesday 8 December (Choral Evensong always on a Wednesday) if he fancied trawling through the haystack looking for his needle. But it doesn't sound much like a Choral Evensong.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

an all-female choir, possibly French

traditional French carols, with some in English

one a version of Away in a Manger, with a 'somewhat melancholic tune' accompanied by a woodwind instrument
    I'm not sure about the Choral Evensong connection, but that description might fit Berlioz' "Adieu des Bergers" from L'Enfance du Christ if one wasn't paying attention.

p.s. could it be from an EBU Christmas Broadcast?

p.p.s: I now recall there are two tunes. Both are dull and dreary and remind me of what I dislike most about Christmas.
    Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 15-09-16, 11:46.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
      p.s. could it be from an EBU Christmas Broadcast?
      Not sure that the EBU Christmases were broadcast then, were they? Couple of lines (in English) from the carol mean it must have been Away in a Manger, but seemingly not the usual setting.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

I think the usual English setting (as recalled from agonisingly tedious performances by musically untrained children) is Mueller, and there is another called Normandy (as recalled from better-trained choirs which merely emphasised the dullness of it). One of the regulars to The Choir board would know.

I guess it would have been AIAM sung to the tune of Normandy by a choir of French (or Belgian) nuns who also sang some other Christmas music. Perhaps the "period instruments" might have been bagpipes and similar rustic instruments. I'm guessing.
        Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 15-09-16, 12:43.

Comment

• Digby

Thanks for the Genome, I'll look for the needle! I am increasing sure it was a Radio 3 broadcast. My father recorded on an audio tape so it was a live broadcast of at least 1 hour, likely 2 hours as he might have recorded on both sides. It was recorded in the evening around Christmas in the early 1990's, perhaps 1993 as I could have been about 12 years old I think. The all female choral group were either French or at least sang the majority of carols in French or perhaps Old French, their origin being at least 19th century. Perhaps there was even a latin hymn, references in the carols were always holy. I haven't heard carols quite like them since, the singers sounded like a small choral group (perhaps no more than 10 singers) with distinctly historical melodies and woodwind horn instruments, not your usual large choral choir so quite different from the sound of Berlioz "Adieu des Bergers", the carols were really good.

I recall they sang a version of 'Il est ne le devin enfant', the main sung quicker than the versions I can find on YouTube.

The 'Away In A Manger' carol might not have been Away In A Manger as we know it, the melody being completely different, even slightly melancholic, and I don't think at any point in the carol is the line 'Away in a manger' sung, but I do remember the line 'lay down his sweet head' in a lilting high and descending on the line ' asleep on the hay', then being followed by a solo melody on a woodwind horn instrument, possibly a cor anglais or french horn.

Comment

• Digby

Actually 10 singers is a bit too low, more like 30 - 40 singers. Thanks, I'll check those links and see what comes up!

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
              • Dec 2010

I still think "Normandy" is the setting described.

Comment

• Digby

Yes, it is getting closer to it, it could be Normandy setting but what I heard was less ponderous and hymn-like. They sang in unison to a particular melody. It might not have strictly been Away In A Manger although lyrically it bears similarities. Unfortunately I can't write in music to describe the lilting tune! It was a sound of the 19th century in tone with the use of instrument - a kind of woodwind horn. Somewhat folk song yet always related to holy themes as I recall, you might imagine then chanting in a circle accompanied by a woodwind instrument. I'm sorry for my crude descriptions!

Comment

• Digby

This version is identical to the one they sang for 'il est né le divin enfant': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwGm2vtYB_Q
                  to give it a kind of framework for the rest of the carols. I remember the other carols being slightly better than this particular one however, it could just be my memory.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

Did you find any more information Digby? I'm intrigued.

Comment

Working...
                    X