• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Trinity Cathedral in the Danilov Monastery: Wed, 14th September 2016

CE Trinity Cathedral in the Danilov Monastery: Wed, 14th September 2016
    Archive Recording from 2005 of Orthodox Vespers for the Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross
    The Cathedral Choir directed by Georgi Safonov sings music by Dodonov, Chesnokov, Goncharov and Trubachev.
    Gospel: John 12: 28-36.
    Homily: Archpriest Andrei Teterin
    Commentator: Canon Michael Bourdeaux.

This is the oldest monastery in Moscow, re-consecrated in 1988 after decades as a boys' prison. It is now the official residence of the Russian Patriarch
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

(1) I would have thought that having this recording in the archive for 11 years there might actually be a proper music list to go with it. I have emailed to request the publication of the music list, but so far I have only received the automated acknowledgement of the receipt of my email.

(2) It is on the wrong day. Vespers for the Exaltation of the Cross is sung on the evening of 13th September.

(3) My recollection from hearing this when it was first broadcast is that it has little resemblance to an actual service of Orthodox Vespers, being rather just a few extracts from Vespers (and other services). The Gospel reading, for example, is from Matins of the Feast. There is no role in Orthodox Vespers for a "Commentator".

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Your (3) was what puzzled me most, I have to agree.

If they are going to use archive material, why choose this one?

And I suspect he 'commentator' is to tell us what is going on?

IMO, this feels a bit bizarre all round.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Perhaps it is too early in the new academic year (so there are new members in the choirs, and DoMs might prefer a settling-in period before they risk a live broadcast) for any of the regulars to have opted for this slot, assuming that it was offered, of course.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Sure, of course, but I get the sense from subcontrabass's posting that as the archive is simply enormous, and as this seems to be not a service at all, why choose this instead of something notable from elsewhere that IS a service of some kind? It will be fine singing, but....?

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Sure, of course, but I get the sense from subcontrabass's posting that as the archive is simply enormous, and as this seems to be not a service at all, why choose this instead of something notable from elsewhere that IS a service of some kind? It will be fine singing, but....?
            Why do you think Orthodox Vespers 'seems not to be a service at all'?

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I personally quite like a change from Anglican CE every so often. Hope there's lots of bottom B flats around. Can anyone explain the Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross? Is it unique to the Russian Orthodox church?
              [Naughtily, one cannot help recalling Eric Idle.]

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nevilevelis View Post
                Isn't the question, raised by subcontrabass earlier, whether this offering is Orthodox Vespers?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Can anyone explain the Feast of the Exaltation of the Precious and Life-giving Cross? Is it unique to the Russian Orthodox church?
                  Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Cross ) gives the required information. The feast is celebrated by Roman Catholics and some Anglicans.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Isn't the question, raised by subcontrabass earlier, whether this offering is Orthodox Vespers?
                    I do find your tone quite patronizing. Is it intentional? People may ask WHATEVER QUESTIONS they wish, preferably without you jumping down their throats. I think I'd feel slightly more welcome here if you didn't.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

I was following subcontrabass's suggestion, who seemed to think that this was not so much an integrated 'service' as a collection of pieces loosely based around a feast / theme, celebrated on Sept 13th? We have fairly regular CE's that are used to celebrate feast days that are around but not necessarily bang on the transmission date, so I'm not that concerned about date.

I am certainly looking forward to it. As I said, there will be some top singing [and bottom!!], and like ardcarp I welcome changes of diet.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I do find your tone quite patronizing. Is it intentional? People may ask WHATEVER QUESTIONS they wish, preferably without you jumping down their throats. I think I'd feel slightly more welcome here if you didn't.
                        Good grief! I was only pointing out - quite politely I thought - that DracoM hadn't said what you thought he'd said!

(As he has now explained.)

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                          • Nov 2010

Perhaps this might help http://lorenz.seboldt.net/choraleven...ox-vespers.htm

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Wow! Many thx,

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Y Mab Afradlon View Post
                              Thanks for that. That indicates that the broadcast will include precisely ONE verse from Vespers.

The first three verses listed come from the end of Matins. Then we have the solitary verse from near the end of Vespers, which has no relation to the preceding narrative (which concerns something rather later in the service). Then we jump to the middle of Matins, in order but with significant omissions. This is up to the end of "Ode 9". Then we jump on to a bit of the raising of the Cross (which should precede the verses sung at the beginning of the broadcast). Then the Third Antiphon from the Divine Liturgy and a hymn which comes a little later. We end with a verse that follows Ode 9 at Matins.

So there is no way that this should be described as "Orthodox Vespers".

Comment

Working...
                              X