X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Echo Nevilevilis on Walton - not my favourite at all. Just seems so loudly and clumsily rhetorical. Strictly IMO, I do fully realise!!
    Soloists exemplary esp treble. NOT easy stuff at all.
    Yes, canticles deffo worth airing.

The happily regular Edington venture is always worth hearing. Many thx to all.

Comment

• DT1
      • Dec 2015

Just for the sake of accuracy: The solo in the canticles was sung by one of the consort sops. Thanks.

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

I was pleased to hear the Andrews' canticles although I enjoyed the excellent performance of the Magnificat whereas the Nunc was spoiled for me by a male soloist who loomed too close (microphonal balance seems a difficult art in Edington's Priory) and sang in a rather florid, operatic style. The Walton fared pretty well but, truth to tell, it's an uneven work lacking Walton's usual fluency and based on material not drawn from his top drawer. The Potts anthem made little impact on me. The disconnect between organ and choir in the plainsong psalms that others noted did annoy me, too.

An ambitious and interesting service with mixed outcomes.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Well, according to the R3 schedules, you will get yet another chance again to hear this service, and I don't mean on Sunday p.m., but NEXT Wednesday, 31st Aug as well!!! So we will have the luck to hear this CE THREE times in a week. Apparently.

Wonder if they realise that on iPlayer and The Forum, R3 Wed 31st is a repeat of Wed 24th? Or maybe they're all on holiday and don't give a stuff?

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            So we will have the luck to hear this CE THREE times in a week. Apparently.
            And four times altogether since it is also scheduled for the Sunday repeat on 4 September. A case of the programmers vamping until ready?

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
              Late Member
              • Dec 2010

According to this page about half-way down, it's something of a Wood-fest from the Charles Wood summer school.

I don't know why everyone gets quite so excited over what is obviously a mistake.
              My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Not 'excited'. but baffled. if there is info, then why has not the BBC uploaded that info?
                My job as Host is to post CE details - hence the comment / frustration.

Much appreciate Miles Coverdale's info and guidance. 31st Aug CE details now furnished.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Having just returned to civilisation and heard the Edington broadcast (albeit on a small portable mono radio) I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the Andrews Cantiles and Walton's The Twelve. I love that piece! The treble duet is tricky (lots of tritone intervals to leap) and they did well. Until Edington Prory got its new Harrison organ, I don't think such a piece would have been possible. Full marks to Stephen Bell for his accompaniment.

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    ... Full marks to Stephen Bell for his accompaniment.
                    Simon Bell (DoM of Tewkesbury Abbey Schola)

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Oops. Apols to Simon.

Comment

Working...
                      X