X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Now if much criticised prog The Choir on R3 were looking for a major retrospective event, then doing a detailed look at DW's career would be truly worth it.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
      Sadly, David Wulstan's death was announced recently.
      https://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/news/prof-d...stan-1937-2017
      Oh, dear, I am sorry to hear that. He was a fierce supporter of Friends of Radio 3 and I had a number of 'indiscreet' chats' with him. A very sad loss. Catherine Bott interviewed him for TEMS some while back.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Now if much criticised prog The Choir on R3 were looking for a major retrospective event, then doing a detailed look at DW's career would be truly worth it.
        It would indeed, but sadly the performances would have to be restricted to the LPs/CDs as it rather looks as if the tapes of the several BBC radio programmes that the Clerkes broadcast in the 1970s have been destroyed.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Oh, dear, I am sorry to hear that. He was a fierce supporter of Friends of Radio 3 and I had a number of 'indiscreet' chats' with him. A very sad loss. Catherine Bott interviewed him for TEMS some while back.
        For UK listeners, the programme can still be downloaded: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01scxdg

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
          Sadly, David Wulstan's death was announced recently.
          https://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/news/prof-d...stan-1937-2017
          Terribly sad news
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Indeed.

Our own Chris Watson's father (an old friend of mine) David Watson was an original member of The Clerkes. He had a wonderful bass voice, and in later life combined a teaching career with plentiful solo gigs. He too sadly died recently.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
              • Nov 2010

Following on from the sad news of the passing of Prof David Wulstan may I suggest that we lobby the Choral Evensong team for an archive broadcast. There was a broadcast of a recorded broadcast originally on Friday 16th March 1984 from St Alban's Church, Holborn featuring the Clerkes of Oxenford conducted by David Wulstan. It featured several items edited by him - the Psalms came from his Coverdale Chant Book and the Canticles were the Thomas Weelkes Ninth Service for seven voices and Woefully arrayed by William Cornish.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Absolutely endorse that.
                Given the influence of Wulstan, the dearth of R3 awareness is strange. Tiny bit from Mr Skidmore in The Choir yesterday. But we all know there are serious musicological / choral editing / choral sound and style issues many would feel keen to comment on.

Comment

Working...
                X