• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The Chapter House Choir, York

Yesterday, the Chapter House Choir had a 50th anniversary concert in St Olave's Church, York. (They couldn't sing in their usual venue of the Chapter House of York Minster, as the minster was in use for the York Mystery Plays.)

On this occasion, this fine chamber choir was supplemented by a large number of former members, expanding it from the usual 35 singers to around 90. The current musical director, Stephen Williams, conducted most of the concert, supplemented on this special occasion, by two long-serving predecessors: Jane Sturmheit and the choir's founder - Andrew Carter.

Stephen Williams said yesterday's choir was like a chamber choir of 90, such was the quality and precision of the singing. There was an element of modesty in this statement, for when the current CHC performed the Frank Martin Mass and a Bach Motet, former choir members acknowledged that the choir had risen to a new level. I've never heard Jesu, meine Freude sound so stunning as it did yesterday. If this choir were in London . . .
  • Oldcrofter
    • Dec 2010

" If this choir were in London . . ." then it wouldn't be in York. Do you mean that in London, it would receive the attention and renown it deserves, Alpie ? Were the audience not very enthusiastic ?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I think EA means that London not only seems to be but is the hub to which many are drawn if they want to make a living out of music, drama and the arts generally. It seems especially so for singers of the 'highly competent chamber choir' variety. Would that it were otherwise. As a self-exiled country bumkin, London is like another country, but it's where it's all at...including the networking.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

But then, this choir is in York and not in London. So it is not necessary to be in London to produce high quality choral music and be appreciated for it.

Which is great.

So what's the problem?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          I think EA means that London not only seems to be but is the hub to which many are drawn if they want to make a living out of music, drama and the arts generally. It seems especially so for singers of the 'highly competent chamber choir' variety. Would that it were otherwise. As a self-exiled country bumkin, London is like another country, but it's where it's all at...including the networking.
          That's about it.

I would suggest that the CHC & BBCS swap places for a year.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            That's about it.
            But it isn't; you've said so yourself.

What exactly is it that you're complaining about?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
              But it isn't; you've said so yourself.

What exactly is it that you're complaining about?
              I'm not really complaining - just observing that a superb chamber choir in York goes largely unnoticed, while a group of Rhinemaidens in London is hyped up to the hilt.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

You mean unnoticed in London.

Does that really matter, if they get large and enthusiastic audiences on their home turf?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I'm not really complaining - just observing that a superb chamber choir in York goes largely unnoticed, while a group of Rhinemaidens in London is hyped up to the hilt.
                  Well one group of praised-up-to-the-hilt Rheinmaidens performing in London next week originated in Yorkshire
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Does that really matter, if they get large and enthusiastic audiences on their home turf?
                    I think the point is that it matters that excellent regional choirs are not broadcast (so that the whole nation can share the pleasure of these home turf enthusiasts) as often as less successful (in the opinion of many listeners) vocal ensembles.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

This thread seems to touch upon aspects that will attract incoming scorn upon posters.

That is don't mention London as opposed to... (or before I have to justify my choice of the term "opposed"London in relation to....) (or London ....../ at all)) - not in the same post as the towns/cities/countries outside the resource sucking over-privileged Capital)

So, I might as well pick up on another point -I'm surprised its not been picked up yet -what is the justification for suggesting the BBCS be inflicted on non-Londoners, and York lose its excellent Chapter House choir to the undeserving metropolis?
                      =============
                      Its great to hear the Chapter House Choir has gone from strength to strength (One of the limited vinyl records I've kept is one of theirs - bought after I sang under the delightful Andrew Carter (not with the Chapter H choir, I hasten to add).

And just to add, when trying to fix meetings of colleagues home working in North Yorks, East Yorks, Bristol, London and the South Coast, there was no practical alternative to London. Regretful as it may be, it was not possible in terms of reasonable time and expense to meet anywhere else, coming to the meeting and returning in one day.
                      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 19-06-16, 19:45.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        I think the point is that it matters that excellent regional choirs are not broadcast (so that the whole nation can share the pleasure of these home turf enthusiasts) as often as less successful (in the opinion of many listeners) vocal ensembles.
                        Got it on one, Ferney.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It does matter. For example, when the Rhinemaidens perform at the Proms with unwelcome (to many) regularity, there are choirs who are probably vastly superior but aren't even considered.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Many of the performing/broadcasting/recording vocal ensembles that we hear about tend to have quite a few singers in common. (Maybe Chris Watson will comment?) Probably many don't actually live in London, but the metropolis is a sort of networking magnet. Full marks to Jeff Skidmore and Ex Cathedra (of which I was a founder member, incidentally) for maintaining a professional choir in Brum.

PS Returning from London yesterday on Southwest Trains bound for Exeter, I ground to a halt at Salisbury. After a long wait we were informed that 'a driver could not be found to continue the journey'. I was herded into a taxi and spent the next two hours in uncomfortably close quarters with fellow travellers. Maybe we should learn something from Europe (i.e. its excellent train service...in France, Germany and Italy from personal experience) whether we leave it or not!
                            Last edited by ardcarp; 19-06-16, 21:24.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                              • May 2011

It does matter. For example, when the Rhinemaidens perform at the Proms with unwelcome (to many) regularity, there are choirs who are probably vastly superior but aren't even considered.
                              Like who?

Comment

Working...
                              X