• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
    ?? Are you sure you're not thinking of Quemadmodum?
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
      I've never heard it. What does it mean?
      A Gumby part?

gumbysautoparts.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gumbysautoparts.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

The Gumby line/part refers to monorhythmic cantus firmi in Tudor music. The name was inspired by these characters:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Wolsey
          • Nov 2010

I thought it referred to this...

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

All I can say is that, when I first heard the term in Oxford at the end of the 70s, I asked about it and was told that it referred to the Monty Python character with the gumboots and knotted handkerchief. It was clear that a tongue-in-cheek analogy was being drawn between the plodding tediousness of Tudor equal-note cantus firmi and the dull-witted simplicity of "Mr Gumby". (Actually I was referred specifically to the "My brain hurts" sketch which is also on YouTube.)

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
              Gosh, I haven't heard that term for over 30 years. I'm glad to see it is still current (but shouldn't the G be capitalised? )
              It's very much alive and well!

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

The longest note c-f I've ever encountered was in Perotin's Viderunt Omnes. Wonderful piece, BTW. I can't help wondering if some sort of organ was meant to sustain it? Last time we also added (without any scholarly justification) tiny temple bells which pinged every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                X