• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Songs of Praise School Choir of the Year

I watched the junior semi-final tonight. It was good to see enthusiastic youngsters giving their all, and apart from the all-girls school (obviously) the sexes being equally represented. Five of the six schools were independent, and the one that wasn't...old hands at the competition....is clearly a go-ahead 'academy'. I do notice a trend towards slightly 'shouty' singing, and I enjoyed most the choirs that allowed some quiet 'head-voice' moments

Aled Jones hosts the junior semi-final of the School Choir of the Year Competition.

Senior school semi-final next.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

An impossible task, IMO to judge the senior school choir semi-final. How do you compare a straight-laced but impeccable rendition of Praise my soul the King of Heaven with a gyrating gospel choir? Both impressive but different. I wonder if Ken Burton didn't stray from the impartial in saying to one choir, 'See you in the US on your tour'. Anyway, good to see teenagers taking singing seriously, including a fair proportion of tenors and basses.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Any choir can sing loudly, but it takes a GOOD choir to sing quietly and sustainedly.

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        An impossible task, IMO to judge the senior school choir semi-final. How do you compare a straight-laced but impeccable rendition of Praise my soul the King of Heaven with a gyrating gospel choir?
        My thoughts exactly. Unlike the other semi-finalists, it was Truro School's first appearance at this event, so their new experience will have given them an idea of what the producers had in mind. Perhaps one of the judges could have had a more 'churchy' background; after all, Songs of Praise isn't often broadcast from a West End stage. Still, my daughter enjoyed an overnight stay with her friends in the beautiful Peak District.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

I always watch this if I remember, and it is good to see teenage boys in the senior choirs. I am baffled, though, by the choice of judges. Katherine Jenkins? Really? In the earlier days of the programme I'm fairly sure they usually had a cathedral choir director, but maybe they are now refusing to take part, or simply not being asked because they are seen as 'elitist'. There is a general air of popular culture hovering over the programme, which will surely deter some choirs.

It's also significant how many of the choirs, both junior and senior, come from independent schools.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

My suspicion is that the independent schools see it as just tons of PR, getting the name out there..........cynical, moi?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Any choir can sing loudly, but it takes a GOOD choir to sing quietly and sustainedly.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I think the Junior choir were worthy winners.* Well, so was the Senior choir, but Tring are almost pros really, and it was a small hand-picked ensemble, not a 'school choir' as we know it. All choirs chose the 'spiritual song' repertory, perhaps knowing the BBC's and Ken Burton's preferences?

* I wish the fashion for singing everything everything at a low pitch would go away. Do people think young children can't sing above a C?

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

I was a bit worried about Tring being a performing arts school, too - as you say, almost professionals. I think it's fair enough to have a small ensemble, though. I think Oakham's was a 'chamber choir'.

I didn't enjoy the choice of music, and am still bemused by the choice of judges.

Comment

Working...
                  X