• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

The Passion BBC4 television Easter Day 7PM

Make of this what you will! In any event, it could be interesting:

BBC Four and The Space partner to bring a landmark re-imagining of The Passion to UK audiences this Easter. Critically acclaimed charity Streetwise Opera and world-renowned ensemble The Sixteen present a bold and contemporary retelling of the last days of Jesus's life.

The opera, based on Bach's famous 1727 oratorio the St Matthew Passion, is a fully-immersive promenade production in Manchester's Victorian Campfield Market.

Award-winning British filmmaker and director Penny Woolcock (Going to the Dogs and One Mile Away) directs an ensemble cast from Streetwise Opera - including performers who have experienced homelessness - and The Sixteen, conducted by Harry Christophers. The production features a new 'resurrection' finale which has been jointly written by Streetwise Opera's performers and celebrated composer Sir James MacMillan.

Shot live on Easter Saturday, it is introduced by BBC presenter Mark Radcliffe.

The Space is a commissioning and development organisation which supports greater digital access to the arts, using technology to reach wider audiences and create new artistic experiences. The Passion marks the latest in a series of live productions, including Complicite's sold-out show The Encounter and Northern Ballet's new work 1984, which The Space has captured using digital technology so that wider audiences can enjoy world-class arts online, on TV or on demand.

OG
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The proof of the pudding, etc. I had to read the first sentence five times before I realised 'partner' was a verb! I shall watch with an open mind.
    (We still have the old Jonathan Miller production of The Matthew on VHS tape.)

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

There was a feature on "Front Row" on Thursday evening, starting at 05:30 into the programme.

Yes - approach it with an open mind. It has been cut, "re-versioned" and the participants don't all have cultivated voices.

On the other hand, I have to admire the outreach - and enterprise in enabling homeless people to encounter such a masterpiece. For myself, a generous approach is called for...

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

You probably had to be there (recorded yesterday?) to get the full experience. I really don't feel competent to comment on the emotional impact the piece may have had. What I do know is that the evangelist was FABULOUS, both singing and acting; and the grand piano gave his narration a great deal of snap and zing.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I second the accolade for the evangelist. I'm glad I watched this - yes there were some rather wince-making moments, but there were also moments of poignancy, excitement, and beauty. Having the obbligato oboe and violin following the singer as she moved among the audience in the two arias, and still keeping with the rest of the ensemble, was quite an achievement I reckon. For me the McMillan 'add-on' didn't really add anything, but the reactions of the participants suggested that it was important to them.
          What a pity that there wasn't a breathing space at the end of the programme - the list of performers in small, not very clear, text raced down the screen and then was squashed and talked over with some irrelevance about what was coming next. 'Right, yer hour's up, next....' And this crass behaviour on what's supposed to be the arts channel.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Cast listed in the following review http://www.planethugill.com/2016/03/...sion-from.html

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

For me the McMillan 'add-on' didn't really add anything, but the reactions of the participants suggested that it was important to them.
              Apparently they wrote their own words for the ending at one of their workshop sessions. Mrs A. rather cruelly said, 'Here's the Life of Brian moment coming on'. I can understand their need for an ending where they could all join in.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Despite those participants who really couldn't sing for toffee, I found this moving as an event for Easter Day. Some of the professional singing was absolutely brilliant, especially the Evangelist. And the 'multiple Jesus' idea was interesting theologically, at least to this non- and ex-believer.

Could the grand piano have been a concession to the amateur singers - more supportive, easier to get your note off?
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I don't think one has to apologise for the piano. It fulfilled its role admirably, not only by being heard in that large semi-open space, but by adding extra colour. This wasn't a HIP anyway. I thought the player did an especially fine job.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

No-one has questioned the use of the piano, or even mentioned it in relation to the period style orchestra. Quite right. It was certainly there to help the Streetwise actors. They reh. with it and at times it even doubled their vocal parts.
                    Last edited by Guest; 28-03-16, 11:19.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

No-one has questioned the use of the piano
                      ...ah, but I had, in my own head. I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Comment

• Nevilevelis

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        ...ah, but I had, in my own head. I'll bet I'm not the only one.
                        Yes, no doubt we all did (in our heads and not in writing), and the answer in obvious.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Me too, I didn't like the piano nor the final chorus, what was wrong with Bach's? On the whole though I thought it was a terrific idea well achieved but did the hats have to be quite so big.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Have just watched this and thought it excellent and very effective. The piano was fine, liked the big hats - very visual and I bet the actors liked them too!

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nevilevelis View Post
                              Cast listed in the following review http://www.planethugill.com/2016/03/...sion-from.html
                              Very useful link, thanks.

OG

Comment

Working...
                              X