CE York Minster

Order of Service:

Introit: Tribus miraculis (Marenzio)
    Responses: Morley
    Psalms 69, 70 (Noble, Naylor, Talbot)
    First Lesson: Exodus 15: 1-19
    Canticles: 'In medio chori' (Mundy)
    Second Lesson: Colossians 2: 8-15
    Anthem: When Jesus our Lord was born in Bethlehem (Mendelssohn)
    Hymn: Your voice, O God, outsings the stars of morning (Heslington)

Organ Voluntary: Fantaisie (L'orgue mystique: Epiphania Domini) (Tournemire)

David Pipe (Assistant Director of Music)
    Robert Sharpe (Director of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I haven't had the chance to listen on good equipment yet, but the general impression was of some fairly extroverted singing from a choir that goes in for a big sound...but capable of some quiet subtlety too. It was good to hear the Mundy canticles which aren't done on air that often. A purist might sniff at the touch of 16' pedal at the end of each Gloria...but hey, it sounded good. The very much better known Mendelssohn (can you have Epiphany without it?) was full of carefully planned dynamic contrasts, likewise the psalms. I was aware of one or two individual voices (one alto in particular?) being a bit 'forward' but this may have been to do with miking. My impression was of a choir very stable in its pitch. The acid test is, if a precentor sings a note ever-so-slightly off, the choir comes in dead in tune again.

Thanks York for an enjoyable CE.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Adventure and tradition, some beautifully sung psalm verses, lovely balance, good forthright and educated singing, some decent solos - oh yes, and no travelogue from Clergy!
        Robert Sharpe clearly continuing to do an excellent job at the Minster, and the choir sounded assured and up for it even this soon after Christmas / Epiphany with all that that implies for a cathedral choir.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
          Late Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          It was good to hear the Mundy canticles which aren't done on air that often.
          I don't think I've ever heard them broadcast before. As far as I'm aware, there's only one published edition, namely this one. It's a fine piece.
          My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

...they have that slightly pre-Reformation sound about them...even if they're strictly not. An enterprising choice, I thought.

I get my Mundys muddled. Presumably Sing Joyfully is by John, the son?

Comment

• Magnificat

Why do they pray for Sentamu our Archbishop and not John our Archbishop?

I've never heard the AofC prayed for by his surname.

VCC

Comment

• Vox Humana
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I get my Mundys muddled. Presumably Sing Joyfully is by John, the son?
                Yes.

Comment

• LTFC1990
                  • Sep 2012

Magnificat

Sentamu is always referred to as such, I believe it is to do with the naming customs in Uganda, where he was born.

Comment

Working...
                  X