X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

....and so back to Clare College, folks! Well, it was a good sound with the sort of top line we all (seem to) approve of, and with very able young ATBs. Maybe there was a little tentativeness here and there. I'd like to hear the choir again in two terms' time What did people think of the Bax? Much as I love it, I'm not sure it was the ideal piece for this sort of 'lessons and carols' service. 'Too long and too complicated' might be an immediate response, though I must say I admire Clare's braveness for having a crack at it. For anyone who's sung it, the effect is of a calm and straightforward beginning; then you become aware, as the piece progresses, that the parts around you are becoming increasingly manic in their attempt to cope with some angular, stratospheric lines and increasingly chromatic harmonies. It's quite psychedelic really! The danger is to lose the wood for the trees, and I feel it takes a very experienced choir to make musical sense of it. One of the best performances I heard was by Schola Cantorum under Jeremy Summerly where the whole (large) choir seemed to think and breathe as one.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. What did other people think about the service as a whole?

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

I was a chorister in the 90s (at a cathedral) and psalms were often 'directed', well, started and stopped by one of us on the front row...

Comment

• light_calibre_baritone

Sure you're all familiar with the wooden hand at Ripon? Who needs a conductor!

"A unique feature an articulated hand, which can be operated by a lever in the organ loft to beat time for the choir".
        Harrison and Harrison website.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by light_calibre_baritone View Post
          Sure you're all familiar with the wooden hand at Ripon? Who needs a conductor!

"A unique feature an articulated hand, which can be operated by a lever in the organ loft to beat time for the choir".
          Harrison and Harrison website.
          Whenever I see it, I wonder how it manages to give an 'upbeat' to start things off!

Here:

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Our Wooden Hand comes in handy after Evensong...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              What did people think of the Bax? Much as I love it...

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. What did other people think about the service as a whole?

Caught the service this afternoon - enjoyed it very much, the 'top line' much approved of here! The whole choral sound was ideal, for me. I love the Bax too; as you say it does turn into something extraordinary. The sopranos really nailed that very highest note! I also enjoyed the final Bethlehem Down, not a version I'd heard before: slow-cooked and rather spiced in the accompaniment.

Some of the plummier lesson readers continue to astonish - the bloke reading the 'water into wine' lesson was beyond parody, sounded like Simon Callow or Stephen Fry playing the villain in a Trollope novel.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
              X