• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Favourite Howells' Canticles

By popular demand (well, from Caliban anyway ) I'm starting this thread so people can put their favourite Howells Canticles in order of preference. I think the inspiration was hearing the Westminster Mag beautifully sung from St John's on Advent Sunday. The Mags and Nuncs seem to be best-known so maybe we could focus on those. I admit with shame that I don't actually know how many of the sets dedicated to Cathedrals and Colleges include the Morning Canticles...and the Coll Reg Te Deum is the only one I can think of at the moment. So maybe a sub-group could include those?

I'll start off with:

1. St Paul's
    2. Gloucester
    3. Coll Reg
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

My very favourite is St Paul's - I love singing those huge sweeping lines. After that in no order - I am also like some of you a fan of the Westminster setting. And I like the B minor setting with the melismas. And Gloucester.

I'll give an honourable mention to the St Augustine's Birmingham setting which I heard on a broadcast years ago and was intrigued by.

You didn't ask about un-favourite settings but I've sung 10 or so Howells M+ND settings and some of them do blur into one another after a while. In particular the New College setting just seems to ramble on. If someone can put in a good word for it, I'd be interested to hear what its merits are.
    Last edited by mopsus; 07-12-15, 18:30.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

1. St Paul's
      2. Gloucester
      3. Coll Reg
      That would have been my order too until yesterday - now I'd add Westminster, probably at 3.

The Coll Reg Te Deum and Jubilate are in a league of their own, as far as I'm concerned, and Desert Island fodder above all the evening services, probably.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Fans of Howells might not be aware of these recordings.

My own top three would probably be
        Gloucester
        Coll Reg
        St Paul's
        but I too have to listen to the Westminster setting, after all the comments in the St John's Advent thread.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Fans of Howells might not be aware of these recordings.
          Just had a quick look at the tracks on this 5 CD series, and all the Morning Canticles seem to be in Vols 4 and 5.
          It seems he pulled out all the stops for KCC because there are, in addition, settings of the 'ordinaries' of the Communion Service.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
            Late Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Just had a quick look at the tracks on this 5 CD series, and all the Morning Canticles seem to be in Vols 4 and 5.
            It seems he pulled out all the stops for KCC because there are, in addition, settings of the 'ordinaries' of the Communion Service.
            Coll. Reg. has long been my favourite of Howells' morning and evening canticles. It's a shame that the communion service is such a poor relation. I have to agree with #2 about the New College setting, which is highly unmemorable. I sang it half a dozen times, and every time it felt like sight-reading. Both the Hereford and Worcester settings are nice enough, though rarely done, it would seem.
            My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

St Paul's - no contest.

Comment

• Philip
                • Sep 2012

Its interesting that most of the popular Howells canticle settings are from the 1944-1960 period, beginning with Coll Reg Te Deum and then the Evening Canticles. Later ones are more rarified, earlier ones not quite Howells as we know him (eg. the G major which we heard on Evensong a few weeks back). The Coll Reg communion was added about 10 years after the canticles I think, and IMO doesn't quite stand up to them as it attempts to recycle musical material, although the Gloria has some fine moments.

I think its difficult to argue that Gloucester, Coll Reg and St Paul's are the top three of the evening settings. For me the Gloucester comes on top because it is the gift that just keeps on giving - one magical moment after another, and indeed its my favourite setting by anyone. The other two are both very fine, I think I would give St Paul's the edge because of its epic scale and sweeping lines but it frequently changes.

Below that is a 'B' list of settings which I enjoy, including
                Westminster (probably top of this list, love that final cadence as it finally comes to rest on the F# major chord!)
                St John's
                G major (I always think of this as Stanford plus, but love the end of the Mag Gloria, almost like something from the West End!)
                B minor
                Worcester

The Coll Reg Te Deum is magnificent, shame so few places do Mattins so its not heard as much as it might be.

Christmas isn't complete without 'A Spotless Rose' somewhere, especially for that final cadence! Legend goes that Patrick Hadley used to send Howells a postcard every Christmas on which he had copied out this cadence and added the words ‘Oh Herbert, that cadence!’

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Christmas isn't complete without 'A Spotless Rose' somewhere
                  True, but Here is the Little Door does it for me, especially at "and Oh such tiny feet". It stops just short of sentimentality, but not short enough to prevent a tear welling up each time I hear it. Love NCO/Higginbottom's recording of it.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                    • Dec 2012

St Paul's
                    Gloucester
                    Coll Reg
                    Westminster Abbey
                    Winchester
                    B minor
                    Chichester
                    Hereford
                    Magdalen College

Ask me again tomorrow and the order will probably be different. As for morning services, the Te Deum for St Mary Redcliffe and the Jubilate for St Peter ad Vincula are both wonderful, as is the Te Deum for St George's, Windsor (the Benedictus lets this one down a bit, but not nearly enough to justify the neglect it gets). You may gather that I'm quite a fan of Howells's third period.

Comment

• Chris Watson
                      • Jun 2011

Anyone know the West Riding Te Deum? I found a copy in a pile of music in my Dad's study. Rather fine, though I've only played through it on the piano.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
                        Anyone know the West Riding Te Deum? I found a copy in a pile of music in my Dad's study. Rather fine, though I've only played through it on the piano.
                        Yes indeed. Like most Howells, it's a fine and worthy piece (although I have to say that it wouldn't quite make my desert island selection - just my opinion ).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
                          Anyone know the West Riding Te Deum?
                          No! Good heavens! "On Ilkley Moor baht 'canticle" ...!

Would love to hear it sung.

He was a big figure in that part of the world, various aunts and other relations from Bradford, Leeds etc doted on him for his adjudication of their various choral endeavours.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I imagine that many forumites were introduced to the music of Howells by the 1966 Willcocks Argo recording of the Coll Reg and St Paul's canticles (amongst other pieces), now part of the Willcocks Argo collection.

But for those who can live without the image on the cover, this recording also exists as a single CD (where it is coupled with some RVW) that Australian Decca Eloquence issued (after some badgering of which I was part):

(There is a small reproduction of the original cover inside!)
                            Perhaps because they were the first versions I heard, I preferred them to the later Cleobury recording, also for Argo:
                            Howells: Choral Music. Argo: 4302052. Buy Presto CD or download online. Peter Barley (organ), Stephen Cleobury (organ), Gregory Moore (cantor) The Choir of King's College, Cambridge

The complete Priory set referenced above is useful, but they are not the versions of the 'famous' settings I turn to most. Which recordings do others have/listen to/recommend?
                            This Hyperion release also takes some beating:

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Philip View Post

G major (I always think of this as Stanford plus, but love the end of the Mag Gloria, almost like something from the West End!)
                              YES! It bridges a gap between Saint-Saens (the climax of 'Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix' from Samson et Dalila) and Bernstein (and Star Trek).

Comment

Working...
                              X