• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chapel of Magdalen College, Oxford 4th May 2011

CE Chapel of Magdalen College, Oxford

Order of Service:

Introit: O pray for the peace of Jerusalem (Richard Nicholson)
    Responses: Smith
    Office Hymn: Before the ending of the day (Te lucis ante terminum)
    Psalms: 22, 23 (Wesley, Smart, Goss)
    First Lesson: Ezekiel 1: 1-14
    Canticles: The First Service (Weelkes)
    Second Lesson: John 1: 1-14
    Anthems: Praise the Lord, O my soul (Tomkins), Glory be to God on high (Tomkins)
    Hymn: Glory to thee, my God, this night (Tallis's Canon)

Organ Voluntary: Voluntary for Double Organ (Blow)

David Gerrard (Organ Scholar)
    Benjamin Giddens (Sub Organist)
    Daniel Hyde (Informator Choristarum)

Apologies for mucking people about. Can't get the hang of the editing tools!!
  • muticus

And we will ALL refrain from making even the most obvious of comments about the voluntary......

Is it usual to do two anthems - I can't imagine that would happen if the service were not being broadcast?

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Liked that. Sharply incisive treble sound once they got the cobwebs out, fresh, confident, energetic. Treb soloists with just a bit too much vibrato for my taste as if making a bit of a point, but nevertheless well sung.

And it was so good to hear canticles and verse anthems [ and the Blow voluntary] from the likes of Weelkes and Tomkins in an acoustic that seemed made for them, that haloed but did not smother or resonate into oblivion the chemistry of voices. Distinctive and good to hear. Many thanks.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Some very pleasing voices, and at times plenty of gusto.

Now, I know everybody hates 'armchair cowboys' and that we're all supposed to be very supportive, but I just have one comment, Clipped phrase-ends. Not the choir's fault (!)

Comment

• Magnificat

It seems that all three college choirs in Oxford are making a very similar sound now. Not sure that is a good thing.

It was all a bit edgy and I thought for a minute or two that it was a lady soloist.

The selection of music was lovely as you say Draco just what a choir should sing in a small college chapel.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

IMO they are NOT sounding the same.

The Magdalen 'sound' is very different to NCO. Fresh and open in places, clean vowels, and excellent diction . NCO have a richer chest sound, and creamier top, and sound older, even if they aren't. Magd treb soloist(s) was indeed closer to NCO, but as I suggested, with vibrato that for me anyway was just a teeny tad OTT - maybe nerves? But a narrower, very focused sound.

Interesting to see how Daniel Hyde develops those timbres. I too sincerely hope that he does NOT turn the soloist boys into 'women'. Maybe the alto section is in more need of close examination?

Comment

• muticus

Ha - don't the Vatican have a chair for just such a process?
              I am sure they would be happy to lend it...

Comment

Working...
              X