• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Old Royal Naval College Chapel, Greenwich Wed, 16th Sept 2015

CE Old Royal Naval College Chapel, Greenwich

Order of Service:

Introit: O, do not move (Tavener)
    Responses: Leighton
    Psalms 82, 83, 84, 85 (Peasgood, Talbot, Parry, Smart)
    First Lesson: 1 Kings 10: 1-25
    Canticles: St Paul's Service (Howells)
    Second Lesson: Acts 17: 1-15
    Anthem: Ave Maria (Victoria)
    Final Hymn: All my hope on God is founded (Michael)

Organ Voluntary: Prelude and Fugue in C BWV 545 (Bach)

Organist: James Grainger
    Director of Music: Ralph Allwood
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Grrr! Another leaden tripadvisor start. Why, oh, why do they do it?

Well, the Howells St Paul's is one of my favourites, and I had been looking forward to this.
      Frankly it was drearily done. In fact the conduct and singing of this whole service, I found similarly dreary.
      Honestly.............deep disappointment.
      Last edited by DracoM; 16-09-15, 16:40.

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Feeling very queezy: that interpretation of BWV 545 exhibited all that is wrong with the current vogue for unrhythmical Bach playing. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe 'all the right notes, but not necessarily at the right time'. IMHO, of course (pace fhg).

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

BBC IT incompetence strikes again!
          While it's good that the sad death of Sir David Willcocks is being commemorated with a re-broadcast of the 2010 evensong from King's this Sunday, it has meant that Wed's live b/c from Greenwich has already been taken down to advertise the fact, and it hadn't even been up for 48hrs - so I, among plenty of others, have now missed it, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Also I'd imagine that Greenwich may well be hacked off not to get a second airing this week. Surely the DW b/c could be in addition to the one and only CE per week: we used to have 2 at one stage.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

As you say, incomprehensible. Maybe DW has more friends in the CE office than Ralph Allwood?
            Also means that KCC figure twice in three weeks.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
              While it's good that the sad death of Sir David Willcocks is being commemorated with a re-broadcast of the 2010 evensong from King's this Sunday, it has meant that Wed's live b/c from Greenwich has already been taken down to advertise the fact, and it hadn't even been up for 48hrs - so I, among plenty of others, have now missed it, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Also I'd imagine that Greenwich may well be hacked off not to get a second airing this week. Surely the DW b/c could be in addition to the one and only CE per week: we used to have 2 at one stage.
              The link to this service is back in action - thanks to anyone here who may have had a hand in its restitution.

Comment

• Peanut
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                But think of all the fantastic competence that is able to provide us with these wonderful broadcasts in the first place.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                  Feeling very queezy: that interpretation of BWV 545 exhibited all that is wrong with the current vogue for unrhythmical Bach playing. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe 'all the right notes, but not necessarily at the right time'. IMHO, of course (pace fhg).
                  I tried to like it, I really did, but you're right. As, in my old age, I descend ever deeper into grumpy gittishness, I am beginning to think that no one should be allowed to play Bach until they have spent a year playing Renaissance fantasias in a viol consort - but I suspect they'd find a way of pulling even those around.

I enjoyed the service otherwise, although it's a shame the last psalm was cut.

Comment

Working...
                  X