Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Not really that much audience coughing in the broadcast either. The noisiest interlopers were the crows during the interval interview with Nigel Short! At first I thought they were outside our house (unusual), but then I realised they were part of the broadcast.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Notably, for me anyway, as perfect a performance of Howells’s Requiem (in an ideal acoustic) as one could reasonably hope to hear this side of the Pearly Gates

Their musicality, richness of sound, blend, tempi, to say nothing of stamina in glorious repertoire, were all just wonderful. Loved the Joanna Marsh encore too (new to me).

Comment

• Maclintick
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post

Their musicality, richness of sound, blend, tempi, to say nothing of stamina in glorious repertoire, were all just wonderful.
        Yes -- a beautifully-sung concert of familiar and unfamiliar choral fare delivered in an ideal acoustic, and captured in exemplary sound. Some of the contemporary pieces e.g. Francis Potts' The Souls of the Righteous noodled along in folk-modal mellifluous style owing much to Holst and Howells, offering no discernible compositional advance on the century-old "Evening Watch". It rather overstayed its welcome but there was much more in Tenebrae's well-balanced selection to enjoy.The Howells Requiem was as gently devastating as it should be, but the real surprise -- obviously well-known to choral cognoscenti, but new to me -- was the Pearsall Lay A Garland, written in 1840 but with harmonic clashes reminiscent of Bruckner in his Vienna period of many years later.

Comment

Working...
        X