• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolsey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    And mine

I was lucky enough to be present at the St Paul's 9/11 service on September 14 2001 when John Scott directed the choir in the most moving service I've ever attended.

(Incidentally, does anyone have a recording of this as I've never seen it apart from being there?)
    Easily Googled. This?

Comment

• Wolsey
      • Nov 2010

The American Public Radio programme Pipedreams honours John in a two-hour programme this week, his organ-playing being interspersed with half a dozen choral items. This is an alteration to its previously published schedule of forthcoming programmes.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Many thanks.
        An American PR channel changes its programme schedule to give John Scott TWO hours.
        Radio 3? In the land of his birth and where he spent most of his professional career?

Makes me weep.
        Last edited by DracoM; 16-08-15, 21:31.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
          Easily Googled. This?
          Thanks, Wolsey. That's the one.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Saturday, September 12 at 11am at Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, the Funeral Liturgy for John Scott will be sung by the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys.

I am assuming that it will be available via a St Thomas Fifth Avenue webcast. Details later.

Comment

• eal

A terrible loss for us here in the USA, and of course all over the world. John was a remarkable man and musician and I will always cherish the opportunities I had to work with him.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Indeed.
                Obits here in UK press revealing just how amazingly influential he was - and of course, through those he trained, will continue to be.
                We shall not see his like again.

Comment

• eal

Pipedreams this week was dedicated to John. Great to hear some recordings from all the way back to 1980 when he first came to the USA with St Pauls.

a tribute to the artistry of English-born organist and choral conductor John Scott, who died unexpectedly at age 59 on August 12, 2015.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Definitely one of the very finest musician/choirtrainers around. I can hardly believe the news. How very, very sad.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

I can still only guess at what that choir must be thinking as they re-convene for the long haul to Advent and Christmas. Tricky times for the Choir School staff. I wish them well.

Comment

• choralscholar 91

http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/cal...for-john-scott Simple (hut very moving and effective) Requiem setting for a great musician and a true gentleman, along with some wonderful motets. Fingers crossed they will probably throw in "Come Labor On" aswell at which point I will be a blubbering mess. Reminder that it is webcast live at 11.00 New York time (16.00 GMT for us Europeans) this Saturday and will be available to listen back ( I suspect they'll keep it up on webcast archive and not remove it)

Comment

• subcontrabass
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by choralscholar 91 View Post
                          http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/cal...for-john-scott Simple (hut very moving and effective) Requiem setting for a great musician and a true gentleman, along with some wonderful motets. Fingers crossed they will probably throw in "Come Labor On" aswell at which point I will be a blubbering mess. Reminder that it is webcast live at 11.00 New York time (16.00 GMT for us Europeans) this Saturday and will be available to listen back ( I suspect they'll keep it up on webcast archive and not remove it)
                          From the website: "John Scott’s wife, Lily, has requested that we do not webcast his funeral. Out of respect for her wishes, there will be no webcast of the service."

Comment

• choralscholar 91

Oh dear!! Many thank subcontrabass, I didn't see that update a few hours ago! Very unfortunate that it won't be webcast, but if course it is completely understandable that the family want their privacy as well

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Amazed and very upset at this decision. Here in UK especially there are many whose lives have been deeply touched by his playing and teaching.

Comment

• choralscholar 91

Very understandable, I'm sure his family want to mourn the musical giant in peace and privacy. The funeral page has been updated with a service sheet and (most importantly) an online book of condolences for people to record their thoughts and memories of this wonderful man. Also, for English people that live close to London I believe that St Paul's are holding a memorial service in October.

Comment

Working...
                                X