• Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Charles Wood Festival Composers' Competition 2024: Winner

O for a closer walk with God
    David McGregor

Winner of the Charles Wood Festival Composers' Competition, 2024 Dedicated to the memory of Ian Keatley (1982 - 2024), Founding Director of the Charles Wood Girls' Choir Performed by the Charles Wood Singers under the direction of David Hill Recorded by BBC Radio Ulster in St Patrick's Church of Ireland Cathedral, Armagh on Sunday 18 August, 2024. Text: O for a closer walk with God, A calm and heavenly frame; A light to shine upon the road That leads me to the Lamb! Return, O holy dove, return, Sweet messenger of rest; I hate the sins that made thee mourn, And drove thee from my breast. So shall my walk be close with God, Calm and serene my frame; So purer light shall mark the road That leads me to the Lamb. William Cowper (1731 - 1800)

(New thread, copied from the Armargh CE thread, where it might have got overlooked in general discussion of the broadcast evensong.)
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 01-09-24, 07:21. Reason: Thread title amended
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Thanks for posting that. It's good to know Charles Wood is stil commemorated.

This reminds me that we may soon have the much-derided BBC Carol Competition. I wonder what the terms of reference will be this year. It would be nice of it could produce as good a piece as Mr. McGregor's.

Comment

Working...
    X