X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

Southwark Cathedral: RIP Ian Keatley

A sad announcement from Southwark of the sudden death of their Director of Music, tragically young: Ian Keatley: Southwark Cathedral (anglican.org)

Reflecting on this, I realised that in his five years at the Cathedral he never got a Wednesday broadcast so we could appreciate what he was doing there. Even allowing for the pandemic gap, it illustrates how some Cathedrals are falling away from the round of broadcasts. Southwark used to broadcast every couple of years or so. Search - BBC Programme Index
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

A little more information here.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Very sad - Ian did wonderful work there. One hopes and indeed expects they will continue their policy of free admission music performances

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

This is indeed very sad and sudden. Although I had not been familiar with his work, partly due to the lack of recent CE broadcasts from Southwark, as mopsus points out, friends in London have told of his wonderful work with the choirs of All Saints, Fulham and Southwark Cathedral. "[He] understood his choral direction as a vocation, translating our faith into sound." - Dean Mark Oakley.

R.I.P. Ian and condolences to your family and friends.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Times obituary here:

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... I liked the tactful language of The Times obit :

"He joined Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, in 2012, helping to build a strong music programme and championing “come and sing” events while navigating the challenges presented by the cathedral clergy’s many strong personalities."

Comment

• Choral Enthusiast
              • Jun 2023

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I liked the tactful language of The Times obit :

"He joined Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, in 2012, helping to build a strong music programme and championing “come and sing” events while navigating the challenges presented by the cathedral clergy’s many strong personalities."

Yes, very delicately put.

Comment

Working...
              X