Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Winchester Cathedral [R] 7.8.24

CE Winchester Cathedral [R] 7.8.24
    Southern Cathedrals Festival

Order of Service:

Introit: Jesu, the very thought of thee (Bairstow)
    Responses: Rose
    Psalm 37 (Flintoft, Wesley)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 45: 1-7
    Canticles: Collegium Regale (Wood)
    Second Lesson: Ephesians 4: 1-16
    Anthem: Cantique de Jean Racine (Fauré)

Voluntary: Chorale Fantasia on ‘The Old Hundredth’ (Parry)

Claudia Grinnell (Sub-Organist)
    Andrew Lumsden (Director of Music)

Recorded 12 July.
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Both the S-O and DoM are leaving Winchester Cathedral, the latter, it seems, not through his own volition. This final broadcast of CE is a sad reminder of the termination of Dr Lumsden’s great legacy, having carried on the work of his distinguished predecessors, at the helm of this well-loved and widely admired cathedral choir. I have admired and enjoyed all their CE broadcasts and commercial recordings of recent years under his consummate direction.

Comment

• moulin
      • Aug 2024

It was disappointing that the announcer failed to mention the fact that the organists are departing. I don't think one could have expected on air a detailed denunciation of the Precentor and Dean and their actions that have precipitated this crisis, but a tribute to 22 years of top class service in one case, and consistently superb organ playing from an up and coming future DOM with a bright future in front of her in the other, might have been nice.

Out of interest, one can watch a "recording of the recording" here. Yesterday I enjoyed the pictures via the webcast (again, having watched it at the time) whilst listening to the radio broadcast. The webcast includes the item the BBC chopped out.

SOUTHERN CATHEDRALS FESTIVAL4.30pm CHORAL EVENSONGsung by Chichester Cathedral Choir and the the Boy Choristers and Lay Clerks of Salisbury and Winchester Ca...

It goes without saying the it was a superb Evensong, illustrating what we are losing thanks to the damage the Dean has allowed on her watch.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

So what role will Mr Lucas have upcoming?

Comment

• moulin
          • Aug 2024

(Until today I hadn't caught up on the news that Oliver Morrell is also moving from St Alban's to Winchester).

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by moulin View Post
            https://slippedisc.com/2024/07/an-en...-of-organists/

(Until today I hadn't caught up on the news that Oliver Morrell is also moving from St Alban's to Winchester).
            Oliver Morrell occupied the post of third member of the music department - as have many done before him, for a two year term. It was always the expectation it would be limited to that term – my impression is that the remuneration and accommodation, etc, reflects it is a post for one starting out. His departure was well known and his work acknowledged.

For what its worth, I have formed the definite impression that Andrew Lucas has been/is supportive of his staff and the third organist. So, a very experienced Director and Organist, after his well-known, planned retirement, will have a young assistant he has worked with previously, when he is at Winchester.

As to CE, I’d be interested to know if the producers think the context of the programme is a subject for comment, and whether the individuals concerned would want their employment status and intentions referred to during the broadcast nationwide of a service.

Comment

• moulin
              • Aug 2024

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
              [
              As to CE, I’d be interested to know if the producers think the context of the programme is a subject for comment, and whether the individuals concerned would want their employment status and intentions referred to during the broadcast nationwide of a service.
              Indeed, but it has often been the case in the past that the closing announcements after a CE have specifically mentioned a departing DOM or organist, with a reference to the number of years served. As I said, no need for a full exposé, but an acknowledgement of 22 years in post was noticeable by its absence.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Good Qs

Comment

• chitreb
                  • Nov 2012

Beautiful CE. I do hope a way is found to preserve our wonderful choral heritage in Winchester.

Comment

Working...
                  X