• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

York scuppers Atlanta

The poor choir of St Philip's Cathedral, Atlanta, here in York for a week.
    I went along this evening to hear them sing Howells' York setting (which I'd not yet heard sung 'live').
    The organ ciphered at the end of the Magnificat, so we ended up saying the Nunc and they had to abandon the anthem.
    I spoke to their DoM at the end of the service, and he said that they'd cleared their folders out after an afternoon rehearsal, so only had this evening's music, otherwise they could have at least sung something unaccompanied (a Bairstow anthem scheduled for tomorrow, I think) instead.
    Maybe they'll get to sing tonight's anthem tomorrow as well as the Bairstow.
  • Finzi4ever
    • Nov 2010

The but 3 year old H&H shouldn't be doing that! Blaming it on the weather? Hope their local tuner can quickly solve it.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
      The but 3 year old H&H shouldn't be doing that! Blaming it on the weather? Hope their local tuner can quickly solve it.
      There must have been a partial fix (a bit of scurrying around in the organ loft: perhaps somehow disabling one of the manuals) as at least the subsequent hymn was accompanied, if a bit weakly.
      I've no idea who might be on call and where from to do that sort of maintenance/repair.
      The regular organist/DoM (Robert Sharpe) had given a recital on Thursday evening.
      Not sure if anything weather related, but the Mag was certainly pretty full organ at the end: truly 'great' till we realised that one note kept sounding!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

The organ ciphered...
        Mmm, had to look that one up - thanks, I've learnt something.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Mmm, had to look that one up - thanks, I've learnt something.
          Me too.... Mind you, my opportunities for using it with that meaning are likely to be non-existent!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Me too.... Mind you, my opportunities for using it with that meaning are likely to be non-existent!
            Ah: you're more into secret services than church services then?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Ah: you're more into secret services than church services then?
              Checking the spelling of cypher vs. cipher I cam across this:

https://www.criticalimprov.com/index...sic%20together.

A whole different meaning altogether!

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                • Nov 2010

It's usually just a stuck/dirty valve; quick, temporary fix is just to hoick out the offending pipe if quick, repeated tapping of the key doesn't do the trick.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

There must have been a partial fix (a bit of scurrying around in the organ loft: perhaps somehow disabling one of the manuals) as at least the subsequent hymn was accompanied, if a bit weakly.
                  I've no idea who might be on call and where from to do that sort of maintenance/repair.
                  Harrison from Durham will have a N Yorks based tuner who will be contacted to get there same day for a venue like the Minster.

Comment

• jonfan
                    • Dec 2010

My sister was in York at the time for the yearly meeting of the Incorporated Association of Organists based at the Minster so rapid work ensued to get the instrument working ASAP.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                      My sister was in York at the time for the yearly meeting of the Incorporated Association of Organists based at the Minster so rapid work ensued to get the instrument working ASAP.
                      Ah: maybe that explains why Sarah MacDonald (Selwyn and Ely), who I fell into chatting with, was there. She seemed to know the Atlanta DoM, and was commiserating.
                      Last edited by Pulcinella; 30-07-24, 15:51. Reason: Comma added (having pedantically mentioned their helpful use elsewhere).

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

Poor Jonathan Scott had to put up with a most unhelpfully pitched cipher on a pedal reed at the end of his RAH Prom recital last weekend, during his arrangement of the 1812. Recital was superb, btw.

Comment

Working...
                        X