• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Politically themed Choral Evensong

From today's Times:

The parish church of St Bartholomew the Great, the oldest in the City of London, is holding a politically themed choral evensong on Thursday, with all the music by composers who share a surname with a former prime minister. The responses are by Sarah MacDonald, the psalm chants by Conrad Eden and William Russell, the canticles by Hugh Blair (in B minor, not J Major) and the anthem will be A New Song by James MacMillan. At least that’s one group who will be singing from the same hymnsheet on election night.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

An interesting idea. Not CE,but singing songs from Les Mis last weekend seemed appropriate somehow...

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

After yesterday's manifestation, would Robert Johnson's "I give you a new commandment" be suitable?

I give you a new commandment, that ye
      love one another even as I have loved you.
      By this all men shall know that ye are my
      disciples, if ye love one another even as
      I have loved you.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        ............... the canticles by Hugh Blair (in B minor, not J Major) ................
        Love it !

Comment

• mopsus
          • Nov 2010

It was noticed at the time that Westminster Abbey (or was it St Paul's?) had Blair in B minor on the music list for the weekend after the 1997 General Election. Actually St Bartholomew's could have had a psalm chant by Gladstone's son as well!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            After yesterday's manifestation, would Robert Johnson's "I give you a new commandment" be suitable?
            Or even contemporary and fellow lutenist John Wilson's Psalterium Carolinum, the devotions of His Sacred Majestie in his solitude and suffering,
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Or even contemporary and fellow lutenist John Wilson's Psalterium Carolinum, the devotions of His Sacred Majestie in his solitude and suffering,
              Lovely.
              Serendipitously, John Wilson's "Stay, O stay" & "Beauty which all men admire" are coming up on CD2.

(BTW this RJ was Scottish & a century earlier).

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                (BTW this RJ was Scottish & a century earlier).
                I did not check and assumed it was this RJ. Altgether too much Johnson :-)
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Retune
                  • Feb 2022

Marcus Walker, the Rector, is quite politically engaged on social media from the traditional Tory point of view, so it's a nice gesture to give some space to MacDonald and Blair. Perhaps after Thursday he'll be scheduling a Requiem Mass at some point? Victoria's Officium Defunctorum would be a good match for the excellent choir at St Bart's.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I did not check and assumed it was this RJ. Altgether too much Johnson :-)

Comment

• cat
                      • May 2019

Another option would have been Reginald Thatcher's anthem, Come ye faithful.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                        • Dec 2012

Some more possibilities here.

Comment

Working...
                        X