• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Nova Consort launches a composition competition

The newly formed Nova Consort has just launched this composition competition.

I hope forum members will be happy to promote it and maybe even enter themselves.

David is the composer of one of the pieces in A Quaker Trilogy, commissioned for the choir I sing in, here in York, and mentioned in the Quaker Music thread.
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Thanks for the notice. I'm glad to see they're not , unlike another competition , telling people what to write. But gosh, eighty seconds maximum is a bit limiting!

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Thanks for the notice. I'm glad to see they're not , unlike another competition , telling people what to write. But gosh, eighty seconds maximum is a bit limiting!
      I thought that too, especially if you're trying to show any prowess at writing for a quintet of voices: presumably the judges were involved in that decision (or may even have suggested it).
      I had also wondered about (and suggested) different age categories too.
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 03-07-24, 11:05. Reason: Capital I at start of second sentence.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Just bumping this competition thread.
        David tells me that there have already been over 30 submissions, but there's still nearly two months to go.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I know that video recording is involved, but was surprised to see this - my bold.
          We're looking for works which are imaginative, innovative and will capture the attention of viewers in a short time window

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I know that video recording is involved, but was surprised to see this - my bold.
            I can ask, but since there is a public prize involved, I suspect that all that is meant is that viewers of the videos will be invited to vote.
            I have no idea if the singers will be making animal gestures too.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I can ask, but since there is a public prize involved, I suspect that all that is meant is that viewers of the videos will be invited to vote.
              I have no idea if the singers will be making animal gestures too.
              If it is a composition competition then surely the point is to attract the aural attention first and foremost? And make judgements on that and the compositional merits of the pieces. Any visual attention will be limited(as it should be IMO) if the same group of singers*(not screen actors/dancers/special effects department) is performing all the entries.

* Which has just prompted an awful thought about "developments" of the already dubious R3 Carol Comp...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

If it is a composition competition then surely the point is to attract the aural attention first and foremost? And make judgements on that and the compositional merits of the pieces. Any visual attention will be limited(as it should be IMO) if the same group of singers*(not screen actors/dancers/special effects department) is performing all the entries.

* Which has just prompted an awful thought about "developments" of the already dubious R3 Carol Comp...
                I'm sure it will be.
                But the selected pieces will be recorded (I assume visually and not just sonically) in Ely Chapter House, so listeners will then indeed be viewing the performances!

Comment

Working...
                X