Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

A lot more in today’s Private Eye . The liturgical bonfire story would tax the narrative powers of Trollope. It would be comic if it didn’t involve real people who care about these things .

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      A lot more in today’s Private Eye . The liturgical bonfire story would tax the narrative powers of Trollope. It would be comic if it didn’t involve real people who care about these things .
      Lunchtime O'Boulez shouldn't have got the Dean's name wrong, though, as it somehow weakens a point. I found her video statement in very bad taste, or at least it left one! Am I wrong to think Andrew Lucas, with such an excellent career and reputation, has played right into the hands of the D&C?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post

Lunchtime O'Boulez shouldn't have got the Dean's name wrong, though, as it somehow weakens a point. I found her video statement in very bad taste, or at least it left one! Am I wrong to think Andrew Lucas, with such an excellent career and reputation, has played right into the hands of the D&C?
        Alternatively, he has decided that it would be better to do what he can to maintain the choral tradition at Winchester than to leave it to someone with a lesser career, reputation and, indeed, ability, to ruin it.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post

Alternatively, he has decided that it would be better to do what he can to maintain the choral tradition at Winchester than to leave it to someone with a lesser career, reputation and, indeed, ability, to ruin it.
          A very fair point, well made!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post

A very fair point, well made!
            Thanks!

Comment

• mopsus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
              Presumably the 'bonfire' was the Easter fire. But why light it in the Cathedral when there is the whole of the Cathedral Close? Perhaps he feared rain, although other churches seem to manage lighting it on wet evenings.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mopsus View Post

Presumably the 'bonfire' was the Easter fire. But why light it in the Cathedral when there is the whole of the Cathedral Close? Perhaps he feared rain, although other churches seem to manage lighting it on wet evenings.
                Perhaps it wasn't so much concern for whether the fire would light(planning and a certain amount of know-how solves that as I remember from a couple of such occasions) , but rather whether the participants(total or specific...) would get damp?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  As a disinterested bystander to this thread, who nonetheless lives near Winchester, I add only the information that the Hampshire Chronicle has also, of course, been covering this story.
                  More in yesterday's (20/6/24) Hampshire Chronicle; the Bishop of Winchester has 'commissioned an independent review'.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

More in yesterday's (20/6/24) Hampshire Chronicle; the Bishop of Winchester has 'commissioned an independent review'.
                    Yes. It's interesting that it took the resignation of a senior non-executive lay member of the chapter for this to happen. You'd have thought that the loss of most of the organists and several lay clerks would have been enough to set the alarm bells ringing, but I guess they're unimportant...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

An article in today's Times:

Andy Trenier, the cleric responsible for music at the cathedral, has been the focus of criticism after the implementation of an ‘inclusion and diversity’ strategy

Comment

• ocarina
                        • Mar 2015

latest from Norm, cum grano salis

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ocarina View Post

Theres no row quite like a COE row is there ? Incidentally I’ve never found NL to be journalistically unreliable. A purveyor of lightly sourced tittle tattle and gossip yes but very rarely wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X