• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Truro Cathedral Wed, June 3rd 2015

CE Truro Cathedral
    Eve of Corpus Christi

Order of Service:

Responses: Philip Moore
    Office Hymn: Of the glorious Body telling (Pange lingua)
    Psalms 110, 111 (Lloyd, Stainer)
    First Lesson: Exodus 16: 2-15
    Canticles: Sumsion in A
    Second Lesson: John 6: 22-35
    Anthem: Lo, the full, final sacrifice (Finzi)
    Hymn: Soul of my Saviour (Anima Christi)

Organ Voluntary: Fugue sur le nom d'Alain (Duruflé)

Luke Bond, Assistant Director of Music
    Christopher Gray, Director of Music
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Frankly, just about as good as it ever gets on CE.

Very fine choir as Truro under DOM Christopher Gray have been for some time, singing big repertoire, delicate Moore responses, with crystal clear textures and discipline.
      This week and last week we really have heard some fine stuff.

The Finzi was special.

Comment

• omega consort
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Frankly, just about as good as it ever gets on CE.

Very fine choir as Truro under DOM Christopher Gray have been for some time, singing big repertoire, delicate Moore responses, with crystal clear textures and discipline.
        This week and last week we really have heard some fine stuff.

The Finzi was special.
        So too was the organ playing - brilliant psalm accompaniments!

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

..............and?

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I heard most of it on the car radio. It sounded fantastic. Can't wait to LA in peaceful surroundings. The choir and organ in the Finzi could hardly be bettered IMHO. Is there something in the water t'other side of the Tamar?

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I heard most of it on the car radio. It sounded fantastic. Can't wait to LA in peaceful surroundings. The choir and organ in the Finzi could hardly be bettered IMHO. Is there something in the water t'other side of the Tamar?
                ardcarp

Truro have certainly had a run of excellent DOMs. The choir has been consistently one of our best for many years now.

Could have done without the lengthy explanation of the anthem. Interesting though it was it did rather spoil the flow of the service for me.

The Sumsion, along with his service in G, have long been favourites of mine. Lovely pastoral qualities for an early summer evening.

Excellent.

VCC.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Truro is a lovely 'Quire' to sing in...the physical space I mean. One gets real help from the acoustic and a great sense of ensemble; with the organist too. (Compare that to Exeter up the road where the stalls are miles apart and the sound you make goes away into thin air.) Couple Truro's acoustical advantages with a well trained and beautifully directed choir and it's a winner. One of the best, VCC? They've certainly laid down a standard for Wells next week! I know nothing about the technical side of sound engineering, but it sounded pretty darn good today.

PS In the Finzi, weren't the 'come away' phrases beautifully subtle? So often they protrude unnecessarily. I'm speechless at the loveliness of the whole.
                  Last edited by ardcarp; 03-06-15, 22:20.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Absolutely endorse every word from ardcarp.

Congrats to Luke Bond as well.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      They've certainly laid down a standard for Wells next week!
                      ardcarp

I think you can justifiably say that they have laid down a standard for other cathedral choirs of boys and men. Next week will be girls and men.

VCC.

Comment

• decantor
                        • Dec 2010

I’m sufficiently old-fashioned to listen to CE as an act of worship, even while I too focus on the music. This was a wonderfully warm and welcoming service – lessons read with dignity and prayers led with sincerity, all within an ambience conducive to worship. Truro is not alone in achieving that, of course, but we must appreciate it whenever we encounter it. Today’s disquisition on the text of the anthem was maybe just a tad too long, but I am all in favour of finding ways to involve a congregation in the choir’s role as mediator.

The music..... I join the thread’s consensus. Truro’s choir somehow contrives to be a unit of high accomplishment that can turn standard repertoire into uplifting experience without resort to the showy: there's grace in the sheer musicality of their offering. I’m grateful to all today’s singers for their superlative contribution to Anglican liturgy.

So where are the webcasts? Is another CD in the offing? This is not a choir that should keep its head below the parapet.
                        Last edited by decantor; 04-06-15, 01:30.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I heard this whilst driving and although didn't listen from the start, I noticed how good the musicianship of everyone concerned is. Then I found that it was Truro Cathedral, I was not surprised. I have their A Vierne Collection Cd, of which I strongly recommend everyone to buy. I have visited this cathedral as well. (Incidentally Skinner's Brewery is just down the road!!)
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                            So where are the webcasts? Is another CD in the offing? This is not a choir that should keep its head below the parapet.
                            Can't say much about the webcasts other than they seem to have become a low priority, despite the equipment being in place. The few that have been put up on TC's Soundcloud page (try Macmillan's Identity from Cantos Sagrados: https://soundcloud.com/truro-cathedr...-identity-from or there's a Kodaly Missa Brevis complete with sung Credo, and the Allegri Miserere ascending to top E flat, for which, IIRC, you said that boy deserved double rations!).

The choir records one CD each year for Regent Records. This year's disc of music by Gabriel Jackson was recorded last term. The usual release date will go back a few months into 2016 to allow our first DVD release (Regent's first by a choir) sufficient exposure around Christmastide. This will be a live video recording of the 2014 Nine Lessons and Carols, plus an audio recording of a reconstruction of the first Nine Lessons and Carols (1880), along with a talk on carols and the history of this service by Jeremy Summerly.

The parapet is getting a little lower along the south-western approaches.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                              I think you can justifiably say that they have laid down a standard for other cathedral choirs of boys and men. Next week will be girls and men.
                              Not quite sure what I'm meant to deduce from this observation.

Comment

Working...
                              X