Modern choral works/composers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre

Why nearly exclusively sticking to British works?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by chorister49 View Post
      So he did. Not with enough enthusiasm though!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Why nearly exclusively sticking to British works?
        I said earlier in the thread that my request was really concerned with British works. I've plenty of Part, Gorecki, Penderecki, et al. Though I'm not ruling out non-British.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          I've plenty of Part, Gorecki, Penderecki, et al. Though I'm not ruling out non-British.
          I'm not sure who et al. are but there is great choral music by Pēteris Plakidis, Galina Grigorjeva, Santa Ratniece, Toivo Tulev, Tõnu Kõrvits, Ēriks Ešenvalds, Rihards Dubra - the sound here does not do aural justice to this sonic spectacle, of course, but the combined forces of the State Choir Latvija, Youth Choir Kamēr..., Youth Choir Balsis, mixed choir Maska, mixed choir Sola, the Riga Dom Boys' Choir and the Riga Dom Girls' Choir, under Māris Sirmais are quite something https://e-nautia.com/vlsideproject/disk?p=5516775

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I'll toss in Paragraphs 2, 3 and 7 of Cornelius Cardew's "The Great Learning", all seven Paragraphs of which will be performed over the weekend of 11th and 12th July this summer at Union Chapel, Islington.

Highlighting diverse stories, digital content, artist-led touring, data-driven campaigning, online events via our digital venues, and partnerships.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I'll toss in Paragraphs 2, 3 and 7 of Cornelius Cardew's "The Great Learning", all seven Paragraphs of which will be performed over the weekend of 11th and 12th July this summer at Union Chapel, Islington.

http://www.soundandmusic.org/thesamp...rnelius-cardew
              Cor! That's put the Proms to (even further) shame! Is that £10 for the two concerts? (ie £5 each)?!) I'd be able to afford a couple of night's accommodation at that rate!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Cor! That's put the Proms to (even further) shame! Is that £10 for the two concerts? (ie £5 each)?!) I'd be able to afford a couple of night's accommodation at that rate!
                It's per night. However, you could always save your money by getting involved. PM me and I'll put you in touch with Michael Parsons who is coordinating the performance.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

getting involved
                  Why is this the first I've heard about this project, by the way???

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Why is this the first I've heard about this project, by the way???
                    You are not alone. I heard rumours a few months ago so phoned Michael Parsons to make sure I was in the loop. COMA, and those involved in the Cage Songbooks, Nature Study Notes, and Treatise performances over the past year or so, are participating. Main rehearsals are currently penciled in for Wednesdays in June, and during the week leading up to the performance.

PM me, or contact MP directly, if you think you may be able to take part.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 27-04-15, 17:49. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
                      I'm not sure who et al. are but there is great choral music by Pēteris Plakidis, Galina Grigorjeva, Santa Ratniece, Toivo Tulev, Tõnu Kõrvits, Ēriks Ešenvalds, Rihards Dubra - the sound here does not do aural justice to this sonic spectacle, of course, but the combined forces of the State Choir Latvija, Youth Choir Kamēr..., Youth Choir Balsis, mixed choir Maska, mixed choir Sola, the Riga Dom Boys' Choir and the Riga Dom Girls' Choir, under Māris Sirmais are quite something https://e-nautia.com/vlsideproject/disk?p=5516775
                      Many thanks, I'll check them out.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Then there was this...

Vytautas Miškinis

Seven O Antiphons

...in the interval of the Scriabin piano recital on R3 tonight, sung very well I thought by Royal Holloway's choir. It is very much of our time; based around a few tonal centres, chords adulterated by (rather predictable) dissonant notes and not much rhythmic organisation. As I said, of our time! But definitely effective-in-a-big-space music.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

And, so fresh it hasn't been hatched yet:

Comment

• mopsus
                            • Nov 2010

Just to tie this in further to this board, James Whitbourn used (I think) to produce the Choral Evensong broadcast on Radio 3? If you're in the Reading area, there's a chance to hear his 'Son of God' Mass in its concert version at St Peter's Earley on the evening of May 16th. The saxophonist is going to be in a little gallery at the far end of the church from the choir and organ, and in rehearsal this worked very well.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

PM me, or contact MP directly, if you think you may be able to take part.
                              Of course I would love to be able to take part, but unfortunately my calendar tells me I have concert engagements elsewhere on that exact weekend. (Spain, since you ask.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                                The saxophonist is going to be in a little gallery at the far end of the church from the choir and organ, and in rehearsal this worked very well.
                                Wot? That devil's instrument?

Comment

Working...
                                X