Host
    • Mar 2007

Sorry, meant Wood.

Wood, Greene, Upminster
    Last edited by DracoM; 22-04-15, 20:05.

Comment

• ocarina
      • Mar 2015

Ps first psalm was what I knew as "Heather Cordingley in B major" but in D flat...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ocarina View Post
        Hello everyone by the way. I have been a reader of this entertaining forum for a while but only just registered.
        Hello, ocarina - welcome

'Entertaining' ?? Hehe ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ocarina
          • Mar 2015

Definitely meant as a compliment

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Yes, Hi ocarina. Hope you manage to stay on board despite the rough waters sometimes encountered around here.

The service was well directed and the choir full-blooded. It may be that this sort of sound has been decided on as the best way to fill a slightly lacklustre acoustical space. I really enjoyed the Holloway organ voluntary. (Did anyone notice The Keel Row at one point, BTW?) To play it....or anything.... on that instrument makes one feel quite exposed and alone...nowhere to hide. I guess organists will know what I mean. So it was a very creditable performance. I'd like to hear it again in a bigger space.

Many years ago, St Clement Danes broadcast The Wilderness on a live CE. The countertenor was a certain J. Bowman. It really blew me away. But comparisons are odious.
            Last edited by ardcarp; 22-04-15, 22:58.

Comment

• decantor
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              ....... to stay on board despite the rough waters sometimes encountered around here.
              Ah well, if the forum is acknowledged as choppy waters, I’ll set my sail despite fear of foundering.....

Wood and Wesley mean less to me than Walcott and Weekes: thus the bulk of the music left me high and dry. But I warmed to the introit as it went on, and look forward to renewing acquaintance with it; Guy Turner’s Responses struck me as unusually and pleasantly lyrical, especially in the setting of the Lord’s Prayer; and Holloway’s Sortie had more wit and bonhomie than many of his works I’ve heard – yes, the Keel Row was in the mix for sure.

I do admire the G&C choir – their CD All the Ends of the Earth is one of my favourites – and they did nothing today to damage their high standing. Even so, I nodded in agreement with Draco’s BBCS comment above (#12), and the dry acoustic made me feel that CE was taking place in my sitting-room – which, to be honest, is not the effect that I want: I look to be transported out of time and into space.

Almost exactly 51 years ago, I ushed at a wedding in G&C College chapel. I didn't register the 'dryness' then - but of course one wouldn't at a wedding.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

but of course one wouldn't at a wedding.

Comment

• Wolsey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Wood Greene, Upminster
                  Mornington Crescent.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Very sneaky - the Fletcher Opt-Out!
                    As soon as I'd sent it, I thought someone was going to snare me with the Arnos Grove Alternative.

Comment

• guyscottturner

Magnify

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Welcome Guy. You wrote a rather neat and slightly jazzy Magnificat a while ago. Great piece. Kids love it. Is that recorded anywhere?
                      It was recorded on a cassette by the Reigate Children's Choir years ago when they commissioned it.

It is published by Recital Music:
                      Music festivals have evolved from simple communal gatherings into massive global phenomena, drawing attendees from all walks of life and connecting individuals through the universal language of rhythm and melody.

Comment

• W.Kearns
                        • Dec 2010

I've just caught up with this service. I really enjoyed 'The Wilderness' . Ok, it is repetitive, self-indulgent and sentimental, but I love its tunefulness and extraordinary mix of tenderness and gusto. Hearty cheers and many thanks to recent editor, singers and all concerned.

Comment

Working...
                        X