• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Eton Choir Book - Huelgas - Sat 7th Feb 1pm

The Huelgas Ensemble directed by Paul van Nevel sing 15th-century English polyphony from the sumptuous Eton Choirbook at the 2014 International Sacred Music Festival in Fribourg, Switzerland. Their programme features a seven-voice Salve Regina, the only known work by John Sutton - its first-ever UK broadcast - and the Stabat Mater for six voices by the leading composer in the Eton Choirbook, John Browne

The Huelgas Ensemble sings 15th-century English polyphony from the Eton Choirbook.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Excellent news!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Excellent news!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        seconded

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
          Late Member
          • Dec 2010

Both the Sutton and Browne are on their CD of Eton. It will be interesting to see if they do any pieces not on the CD.
          My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I was especially looking forward tom the John Browne Stabat Mater but there were accidentals I wasn't familiar with and didn't like...and was that actually a wrong note at Videns fere criminosa...?

Last edited by jean; 07-02-15, 16:28.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

What an absolutely gorgeous programme. I love the Huelgas Ensemble. That first piece by the otherwise unknown Mr Sutton was fantastic!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I was especially looking foprward tom the John Browne Stabat Mater but there were accidentals I wasn't familiar with and didn't like...and was that actually a wrong note at Videns fere criminosa...?
                I'll have to have a more careful listen. It's one of the few ECB numbers I've sung, so Ill dig out my copy. All I'd say is that transcribing 500-year-old music involves certain 'decisions' which will vary from one editor to another. I heard the whole programme on the car radio and really loved it. The sopranos captured (what I think of as) the English discant style. The men, with very straight voices, sounded immediately different from English consort singers. Their slightly 'rough' tone seemed to suit the music well....though of course, who can know, etc, etc

What a great hour of music for a Saturday lunchtime.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Absolutely endorse ardcarp's take.
                  I'm a great admirer of the Huelgas Ensemble.
                  Unfussy, carefully but not oppressively scholarly, 'straight' voice production, and ensemble is indeed their watchword. Real pleasure.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                    Late Member
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    I was especially looking forward tom the John Browne Stabat Mater but there were accidentals I wasn't familiar with and didn't like...and was that actually a wrong note at Videns fere criminosa...?
                    There were a couple of wrong notes at that point, but the singers may be forgiven the odd slip, given how complex this music is.

I did find Mr Van Nevel's approach to ficta rather eccentric, to say the least. For example, why have B natural in the Medius part at the end of bar 6, but not in the identical figure a bar later in the Triplex? I also find the way he sometimes pulls the tempo around, presumably for expressive effect, a bit distracting. Still, full marks for programming this music in a concert.
                    My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I also find the way he sometimes pulls the tempo around, presumably for expressive effect, a bit distracting.
                      I don't. There is a sort of agreement about the 'tactus' or beat among scholars which is that it was unvarying..presumably based on the assumption that when singing from part-books (or at least a separate part of the page in the case of the ECB) it was the only way to stay together. That possibly underestimates...though we can't know... the skill of singing boys and men of the time; but as you hint, slight variations in dynamics and tempo help to make (what is for some) slightly arcane music more accessible. In some ways bringing music to life will always transcend the mere dots on the paper.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Depends what you mean by "accessible".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Depends what you mean by "some".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Depends what you mean by "life".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Depends on what you mean by "mere dots".

Comment

Working...
                              X